Dc1000 for spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you always troll these forums ??
speechless-smiley-004.gif
I often wish that I hadn't bothered trying to help.

Good luck with your effort to mount a camera. I enjoy the videos done by others and I don't see a problem. The camera should not add much task loading - especially if you leave it on and edit the results later. Scubaboard member Hetland has had some nice videos while spearfishing. They are posted in the Deep Dixie Divers group usually. You should PM him. Be sure to post your videos if you are successful.

Good luck with your effort to mount a camera. I enjoy the videos done by others and I don't see a problem. The camera should not add much task loading - especially if you leave it on and edit the results later. Scubaboard member Hetland has had some nice videos while spearfishing. They are posted in the Deep Dixie Divers group usually. You should PM him. Be sure to post your videos if you are successful.
OK, here is what I mean about task loading...

You're trolling along with the video on and begin stalking a fish. You shoot the fish... Now what?

Scenario: You follow through the line to acquire your fish and begin the task of stringing your catch... Where is the camera recording your catch? Did you drop your speargun to use both hands to remove the shaft and string your catch.

If you drop the speargun like most underwater hunters, you just dropped your camera to be banged on the ground (or worse, the reef) where the seals could be damaged enough to allow water in

Or... did you attempt to get the speargun setup to record you acquiring your catch and stringing it? In this situation, I hope you aren't using a line on that spear, because most of the time, the speargun gets jostled from stringing and spear recovery.
---

But, to the original poster... WE are "trolls" for giving good advice that the original poster does not want to read... :idk:

Last edited:
I'm too old to know what a troll is, so I can't answer to that - although I don't believe I called anybody anything. You may very well be correct about the problems that could be created, I don't have that much experience and I have never tried to spearfish with a camera on my gun. I just know that some have done it, and seem to have done it well. If he is interested he might want to talk to them. I really don't think that is bad advice either.

You are correct. I apologize for stating it that way, and have corrected my original statement so that it does not reflect that information.

I also forgot about the kickback effect from the speargun itself in my scenario. So, from mounting on the speargun, one would get the stalking of the fish and from there it would be a jumbled mass of hard to view video.

I have seen underwater hunters with mask-mount video, but I have never seen one with a gun mounted video.

Well it worked, I guess I do know how to link threads.
A mask mounted video would be pretty cool for any situation. Knowing me, I would forget it's there and bang it on something.

He has it mounted and very sturdy... off to the side of the gun some how. Notice the task loading of crawling down the shaft... then loading... no shots of the catch being strung...

Do you always troll these forums ??

speechless-smiley-004.gif
I often wish that I hadn't bothered trying to help.

I'm too old to know what a troll is, so I can't answer to that - although I don't believe I called anybody anything.
Nope, CT was referring to the original poster of the thread. From Wiki, altho some use the word loosely...
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom