DC1000 First Impressions (Multiple Pictures - Dialup Users Warned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first pictures on a DC1000

I just received my new DC1000 last week ...Here you have my first shots using a DC1000 MAXX.... (I used a little bit of photoshop on some to crop and make some balance).... I hope you like it !

PICT0109.jpg

PICT0249.jpg

PICT0186.jpg

PICT0194.jpg

PICT0246.jpg

Best regards,
Brino.

UPDATE:

I have tried the DC1000 with both Class 6 and Class 4 8gig SDHC cards, as well as a 30X Class 6 4GB card... additionally, I tried it with a Class 2 card.

I found no significant differences between the cards of the same class, but using slower SD cards does increase the lag slightly on non-flash pictures. I can't tell a difference on flash pictures (since the lag is determined not by the card write speed but rather the flash recycle time).

I have not yet uploaded pictures to my computer from the camera, I use a high speed reader, and obviously the faster cards are much better performers at that.

I think an excellent match for this camera is the Sandisk Extreme III series of SDHD cards, as well as the Transcend Class 6 cards.
I haven't jumped into this thread yet, but started reading from the beginning and want to make a side note here...

If you use the flash with different settings than "Auto" (I often use it between the 2nd and 4th dash), it retains charge for 3-4 pictures.

That is to say, I don't have to wait for the recycle to happen in order to shoot the next picture. There is a residual (at least with my strobe) that allows me to continue shooting.

I tested this with the "test" mechanism on the strobe. After charging, I switch it to "test", quickly to "off" and back to "test" 3-4 times... flash each time... Then, tested it in the "water-field" with the same results :wink:

MisaC.... This is the configuration I used:

- Sealife DC1000
- 2 Sealife External Flash Pro
- Wide Angle Lens
Camera set to :
- External Flash MANUAL mode
- Exposure Time between 1/80 and 1/160
- Fnumber F3.5
- ISO 64

2 strobes because to take good pictures underwater "one strobe is better than none" and "2 strobes are better than one".
With 2 strobes you eliminates shadows that are present when you use only one strobe.

Automatic color correction modes like "diving mode" and snorkeling are very good, but you have to know when, where and how to use them. You have to be at a specified depth to use them and get the espected results.

Brino, nice shots again.

With regards to Cooltechs comments about recycling, the Digital pro Flash has a circuitry that only uses the powere that is required for the setting. For example if you only use it at 50%, you can get two shots back to back. If 25% then you can get 4 shots back to back.

Brino, kepp on shooting and share the wealth!

Cheers, Joe

PICT0030_edited-1.jpg

This shot was taken yesterday at Molasses reef

MisaC.... This is the configuration I used:

- Sealife DC1000
- 2 Sealife External Flash Pro
- Wide Angle Lens
Camera set to :
- External Flash MANUAL mode
- Exposure Time between 1/80 and 1/160
- Fnumber F3.5
- ISO 64

This is all great information! I just bought a DC1000 MAXX and am looking forward to using it in Hawaii (I leave Friday). I was shooting an Olympus SP-350 with a single YS-90 Strobe. I am hoping the settings will be OK and I will not miss being able to manually set up the shots too much. I'll try these settings and see how the shots come out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom