DC 1200 won't turn on for more than a second despite reformatting card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atagirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm beginning to panic. I leave for Bonaire soon. I have no time to ship off my DC 1200 SeaLife camera for repair but it is not working. It has worked great many times then Saturday it was working fine then suddenly it would turn on the SeaLife screen comes up then goes white and turns off. It will not stay on for any amount of time. It did NOT get wet. The card I'm using is only 4GB so this should not be a card size problem. I reformatted the card per the manual. Now with the card in the camera powers on SeaLife screen flashes, then it turns white and turns off only now the lens stays out and open. Without the card the lens closes when it immediately powers off as it did before.

A similar problem in a previous thread was solved by removing and replacing the memory card but this hasn't fixed my issue.

Any ideas?

Have you tried a different card?

What about a different battery? It sounds more like a power problem really...

SeaLife customer service seems to think it is a power issue as well. I called rather then spend money on a battery etc not knowing if it would work.

I hate calling customer service as it usually results in a day or so of frustration. SeaLife answered immediately didn't walk me through idiotic diagnostics such as is the battery charged etc. Very pleasant and quick process. They are working to have me sorted out before Bonaire. I would hate to not have a camera down there!

SL customer service is tops...!

So did you buy the camera locally, at a dive shop where you can go for help, trying other batteries?

The one thing I dislike about SL is that their cameras no long use AA batteries, and theirs are nothing to brag about. I do shop ebay for replacement batteries and carry more than I think I need on a trip, just in case.

Actually the camera was a Christmas gift bought in another state. I'm hoping not to have to involve the giver. I think SeaLife will fix me up in time.

Thanks for the ebay tip. I probably should still look into a spare battery just in case. Although all these small items are adding a lot of weight to my luggage! This will be my first time flying with scuba gear and everything weighs more than I would have thought.

I have experienced the same thing when my battery is low(on more than one type camera). I would recommend that you have more than one spare. My SL DC1200 battery seems to last one and a half dives if I am devoting the dive to photography. So in that case I change batteries on the boat, or between dives.

CHeers,
Roger

Thanks for the ebay tip. I probably should still look into a spare battery just in case. Although all these small items are adding a lot of weight to my luggage! This will be my first time flying with scuba gear and everything weighs more than I would have thought.
Yeah, it all adds up - but be sure to take a digital luggage scale so you won't be surprised at the airport. My daughter gave me this one for Xmas - Travelon 12112-51 Ergonomic Digital Luggage Scale- Gray Molded Plastic - and I like the handle and hook, but buying it alone would cost so much more with shipping. This one would work for $4.49 including shipping, arriving within a week: DIGITAL LUGGAGE SCALES AVOID EXCESS BAGGAGE CHARGES | eBay

Going to Cozumel, I plan on 2 - 50# bags checked, 1 - 40# roll-on, plus a backpack - but I don't know if you can do all that to Bonaire?

Sounds like you may need 2 batteries, if our guessing is right and here is a pair for $7.20 including shipping from a US supplier: 2 New Battery For SEALIFE SL7014 SL-7014 DC1200 DC-1200 | eBay

Hope this helps. I failed to ask you if you had tested the battery on a meter? :confused:

Oh that's a better deal than I thought thanks for the link. I didn't test the batter yet. I'm getting a replacement camera from Sealife Thursday. I guess I'll be able to test more then. I really have only charged the battery about 8 times since I've had it. Hopefully they get more charges than that!

Looks like Bonaire (American to Curacao from Florida insel from Curacao) allows 1 checked bag 66#s and one carry on 22# each there is just the two of us so it will be tight. American only allows one 50# checked bag so there may be some shifting out of the carryon during the layover. There will definitely be no room for extra shoes or toilitries. I still hope to take my fish and creatures books.

Oh that's a better deal than I thought thanks for the link. I didn't test the batter yet. I'm getting a replacement camera from Sealife Thursday. I guess I'll be able to test more then. I really have only charged the battery about 8 times since I've had it. Hopefully they get more charges than that!

Looks like Bonaire (American to Curacao from Florida insel from Curacao) allows 1 checked bag 66#s and one carry on 22# each there is just the two of us so it will be tight. American only allows one 50# checked bag so there may be some shifting out of the carryon during the layover. There will definitely be no room for extra shoes or toilitries. I still hope to take my fish and creatures books.
SL is sending you a camera?! :shocked2: Wow! Batteries seem to play out with age, and while you should get at least a year from one - they are tiny little chemical thingies, so you never know. I wish SL would go back to AAs. My first SL used 4 AAs, next one 2 AAs, but then they went with their own - and they have always sucked, the one thing bad about the company.

I know that American only allows one free bag, like most - you just pay for the second bag if you want to take that much. I take more than most I know, but cutting back to one 50# bag just seems impossible to me. I know some do it, but I like a BC with plenty of lift, my 19 cf pony, etc. so I will never be one of them. Sounds like I will never dive Bonaire. :(

Forget the books. For what they weigh, I am sure you have more important needs. 88# max each combine checked and carry will be quite limiting.

Oh, hey - got plenty of Moisture Munchers? I hated using them once and throwing them out, and really - once I open a pack, they start turning on me. Many of us keep our MMs in a zip lock of Damp Rid to keep them fresh, then recharge the MMs by putting them back in the bag. It takes a week to fully recharge one even tho the blue color comes back faster, so you may want to separate used and un-used. Wasn't easy to find here on the desert, but should be easy there. K-mart carries it.

I plan on doing a trial pack later this week. It is going to be very hard. The only BC I own weights 8lbs with my smb, compass, and knife attached I don't have a pony bottle so just the basics. The suitcase alone adds too much weight.American won't weigh the carryon but if Insel inforces 22lbs I'm going to end up with extra charges. Insel says they charge by extra weight $5 per kilo on the type of plane I'm flying so an extra 50 pound bag by my calculations would be an additional $114 each way! twice the cost of the ticket on insel and then the American surchage, yikes. maybe I can just wear things? No rule against how much clothing you can have on right? Who says you can't wear a shorty wetsuit, computer, mask, and boots on the flight :D

I had never thought of recharging moister munchers how clever! I am very familiar with Damp rid living in FL they have ones that hang in your closet that are supposed to last a few months but fill up in about three weeks here.

Back
Top Bottom