Daytime "pointer" light recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi All,

I'm looking for a compact, high-intensity, thin-beam day-time dive light--primarily used to spot and "point out" macro-life to my guest divers.

Since I've been out of the USA for a while, I don't really know what is the "latest and greatest" technology, not to mention something that uses either AA or AAA batteries, and is not too $$$$. (under $100 for example)

I currently use an OMS compact torch (metal body, single LED bulb), but it takes 2 X CR123A Lithium batteries, which are hard to find in some places, and sometimes very $$$ compared to AA or AAA.

I also understand that Cree bulbs seem to put out a great deal of light, and are not too pricey, so if anybody has experience with those I'd appreciate a link or a model name / number / price.

Alternatively, I saw a GREEN UW laser that looks very impressive, but I'm not sure if I will need such a high-tech item--not to mention that this light could be used as a "back-up" to my Light Cannon on a night dive with guests!!

SCUBA-1 Underwater Green Laser for Scuba Diving & Marine Use, Salt Water Proof to 200 ft

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....buying used would also save some $$ I suppose?

HB

Back
Top Bottom