Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: Curacao is called "a sailor's paradise" with some steady winds. How "bumpy" is it out there on a dive boat? We have always enjoyed shore dives, and just keep doing the beach thing.

On one trip we did take the catamaran to Klein Curacao and it was a little "sporty" with a few pukers not enjoying the voyage...

Nancy, Ocean Encounters is the dive shop at Lion's Dive Resort. They have a great reputation. We're going to use them when we go in January (no direct experience yet but they have been very communicative).
Yes, I got in touch with them. We are going to use them and the Dive Bus!

We were there for a week in June, it was never ‘bumpy’.

I dove there in August and the seas were not what I would consider “bumpy. Pretty smooth I thought.

I've been there November, December, and April. A lot of white out there...

Consider the waves you are in when diving the reef from shore. That's exactly what the dive boats get, because that's all they are diving. Klein took you far enough offshore to get some wind/waves, but the dive boats never go out there.

So somewhere between "dead flat" and "almost dead flat".

Also the operators will tend to cancel on the off chance there are actual waves in the ocean, because it's easier to just wait a day until it's flat again.

Question: Curacao is called "a sailor's paradise" with some steady winds. How "bumpy" is it out there on a dive boat? We have always enjoyed shore dives, and just keep doing the beach thing.

On one trip we did take the catamaran to Klein Curacao and it was a little "sporty" with a few pukers not enjoying the voyage...
So typically during 'Hurricane season' June 1st through December 1st the we have very pleasant low wind conditions due to the hurricane or Invest systems will suck the wind out of our area in the southern Caribbean. The wind starts to pick up thereafter slowly and February onwards they call 'Kite' season where you will see the wind picking up and so the ocean becomes lumpier until the next Hurricane season starts.

I say typically because in the past years our weather systems just like the typical weather around the world have been different every year. This year is one of the driest I have experienced in 20 years and the Hurricane season was a bit weird this year.

Hi!
I was looking at LionsDive Resort - I'm thinking they have their own scuba shop? Am I incorrect and if so, is it the one you used? (and if you didn't use the one with LionsDive, would you share why not?)
Thank you!
Nancy
Hi Nancy,
As Lisa above indicated, Ocean Encounters is located at LionsDive and has everything to satisfy your diving needs with plenty of equipment for rent as well as a storage locker. We did a total of four dives with them and really enjoyed the experience.

I would also highly recommend you consider shore diving with The Dive Bus. They are located very close to LionsDive as well. They picked us up and dropped us off at LionsDive for the four days we dove with them. Our first dives were with them and it was a great experience. As beginner divers we always felt safe and well looked after. The smaller groups were also nice - we had at most 6 divers +DM on our dives. They are super friendly and knowledgeable about the reefs they dive. The smaller groups also made it easier to get to know the other divers As newbies we felt encouraged and welcomed into the clan of divers. We also found the shore diving to be extremely easy -nice entries in sandy beaches and coves.

You are going to have a blast in Curacao!

Chris

Excellent diving at Marazul! There are two sets of stars going to a platform. Short swim out, my favorite diving on the island.
Hello MoreCowbells - I do not yet have enough posts to send you a DM, but am very curios to learn more about your recent stay at Marazul! Might you send me a DM so I can get some more details on your recent stay?? Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom