Day trips Miami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gareth J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all

I am likely to have to come back to Miami in early December.

If I can, I would like to take a dayout for a little scuba diving.
I realise that I am unlikely to get the best that Miami/Florida can offer. I have not dived this area, I have no experience of this area. Any dive is almost better than no dive.

Looking for a recommendation for a facility that runs day trips. Potentially, I will need equipment as well.
I am working in the Dora (?) area.

I've got a DM, TDI trimix etc.

I don't really have any transport. Normally I'm picked up by the customer.

Gareth

What are the dates that you hope to dive?

Some of the local operators post schedules. I presume that by "the Dora area" you mean "Doral." You'll need transport, and while there are several places to rent "recreational" kit, finding rental O2 regs, doubles sets, harnesses, reels, lift bags, bail-out, stage, & deco bottles, and other technically oriented gear may be a tall order. If you want to stay within recreational limits, there may well be something going on that tickles your fancy. Tickled fancies can be wonderful.

I would take an Uber to South Beach divers (close enough to you) and they will take you to key largo in conjunction with Rainbow Reef divers. They handle transport all of the way to key largo as long as you get to South Beach.

Ramon Corrêa's suggestion of using South Beach Divers to book a jaunt down to Key Largo is quite appealing, but will take up pretty much an entire day as you’ll spend a good amount of time in transit in order to make a pair of dives. Overall the reefs off of the keys are more appealing than the ones off of Miami. The most frequently visited “deeper” artificial reef/wreck dives off of Key Largo, the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Bibb, all just a bit deeper than 100’, are extremely impressive, and on a good day can yield spectacular dives that you’ll remember for years to come. If you can arrange for a trip to any of those sites, then that may be your most rewarding opportunity. You might check the Rainbow Reef website to see what may be on the schedule for the days you want to dive.

A morning or afternoon two tank trip out of Miami will be simpler logistically, but if the only sites scheduled for the day you plan to dive are visits to local reefs, then I’d head to the Keys. Conversely, I really like some of the wrecks off of Miami that are within recreational depth limits, and enjoy visiting virtually all of the wrecks that lie in 80 feet or more. Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center is located at the Miami Beach Marina, can arrange your trip, and offers gear and wetsuit rentals of most everything that you’ll need.

Diver’s Paradise in Key Biscayne is another local operator that you might care to investigate, though I’ve not used their services in many years and cannot testify to their level of service.

What about rolling a bit North to FLL. You could get an easy wreck and reef dive in
South Florida Dive Headquarters or Pompano Dive Center.

Could just rent a car for the day and go diving out of Key Largo. It is 1 hour from the airport. I have done that in other cities. With luck there is a car rental in your hotel then really easy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom