Day Trip to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZNetEng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wife and I are heading down to Roatan (41 days but who is counting?) for a week of diving at a local resort. We were thinking of looking for a private charter for 1 of the days to do a run to Utila and get a couple of dives in there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a local charter, and experience with costs for something like that?

Thanks in advance all!

Here's some possible options.

Roatan Divers offers it - that's literally all I know about them. I think it's about a 2 hr. ride depending on boat speed. Specialty Trips

More than 5 years ago I booked a trip like that for 6 of us with Seagrape Divers but they cancelled the day of due to rough water between the islands. Not going over but they were afraid we'd get beat-up on the ride back.

I've been to Utila on the ferry so can understand that. I think it was about $800 including lunch on Utila but I'm not sure.They don't seem to mention it on their current website so maybe don't any longer.

Since Utila is SW of Roatan, I'd look into shops in West Bay or the West End for private charters. I doubt there's anyone with it on a weekly schedule except for the whaleshark snorkel trips. Many of the West Bay shops beach Pangas so that could be a little more sporty than you might like also.

Something a little different but the other way is that some of the shops dive Morat Wall off Barbareta to the east - it's near the top of the best of Honduras dive lists. I would guess shops based farther east would go there - likely you'd have to drive over unless you're staying out there.

hth

Last edited:
Thanks @diversteve. We are staying mid Island so could go east or west. Im going to reach out to our dive op and see if they have anyone they can refer us to.

If you're interested in diving Morat Wall and spending the day on an idyllic little "Gilligan's Island" beach for the day with full meal service, contact our friends over at Aqua Adventures: aquaadventuresroatan - they have perfected the art!

Ill have the wife check it out. Considering the timing of the trip, its very unlikely we will see a whale shark. This being our third trip in the last 12 months to Roatan, Utila is likely on the target list for next year, though I really want to stay at AKR too and dive the other side of the island.

i love Utila and live here but diving Utila is like diving Roatan, seems like a waste of money for one day. if you want to do a day trip somewhere to dive it should be to Cayos Cochinos, highly recommended for the diving and the amazing scenery

I claim you are tying to complicate your trip way too much. Dive Roatan or dive Utila. It seems like you are someone who wants to visit all of Canada in 1 week? Both Roatan and Utilla are way too large to fully experience in a week. It's a vacation, relax a bit...

Last year we did a week on Roatan (CocoView) followed by a week on Utila (UtopiaVillage). Different diving, different resort experiences. All very relaxed...

Back
Top Bottom