Day trip to Cozumel from Playa. What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
Family trip to PDC, 7 adults, 0 kids, we want to do a day trip to cozumel. Not sure whether to take the ferry, drive, get a van service.

We would also live to go somewhere in Coz where the 3 divers in the group can dive and the other can relax, do some snorkeling. I see there are different beach parks. Not sure which one is a good option

What would you recommend?

Thanks so much

We have done this a few times. Some of the things we have done have been where the divers head over in the morning for their dives and meet the others early afternoon. We have rented a car to drive around the island for a little sight seeing and bar hopping. This was before the hurricanes, so I don't know if this has changed at all. We have also, taken a snorkel trip with all you can eat/drink on a Pirate ship. There's others, as well. There's a beach or two available, but, I have'nt been to them.

It's been mentioned before, but, I'll mention it again. Purchase a map from cancunmaps.com. They are filled information. Check their website (or Google it) for an example. There's separate maps for Coz, PDC, Cancun, etc.

yes, they have , or used to have all those beach parks there. I heard some were destroyed by hurricanes. That's what I am trying to figure out, where to head to when we get there.
Thanks

MY OPINION ONLY - I don't want anyone to jump all over me.

I like the beaches in Playa better than Coz. The diving in Coz is a must. Last trip I went over on the first ferry and did 2 dives meeting my wife and friends in the PM for shopping and dinner. I suggest your non-divers should visit Coz at least once to experience the town but Playa is a more happening place. You can't beat 5th Avenue!!!! Don't forget to dive the cenotes.

I have to agree with Ed, take a day and see the island so they can say 'Been there and got the t shirt'. Get the maps, best money you will spend on your vacation.

BTW, the beating Coz took from Wilma was biblical so I don't know how much of the shallow coral has come back in three years.

There are two ferry services that make the run from PDC to Cozumel. Purchase a one-way ticket each way as both ferries have different schedules. Waiting to purchase your return ticket will cost you $2 extra, but you can return when you are ready.

If possible, have your non-diver friends rent a car and drive around the southern portion of the island. Coconuts restaurant is on the windward side and is fun and the view is great. If you want assistance on sites for the non-divers, go to Mapchick.com and buy a Cozumel map. We used one last year and it helped us find the best rental car company in Cozumel.

Have fun.

Hey,

We spent two weeks with the kids on Cozumel last July - trip of a lifetime. Absolutely spectacular diving.

OK, here is what I would do. Take the ferry over and rent a couple of Jeeps. Drive south until you hit Chankanaab Marine Park - it is a National Park with lots for everbody to do.

It is an excellent snorkelling area - they have rentals. They also have 3 or 4 dive operators for the divers.

Now I will say it won't be the most challenging dive you will ever do - they basically have one dive site - a shore dive out in front of the snorkelling area - but I must admit, I saw as much, or more, life on that little beach dive than on any boat dive.

I just checked my log book - am I the only log book geek who takes it on every dive? :dork2: Sure helps me remember what I did and what I saw.....

Ok, it was a whopping 24', but life I saw:

6 stingrays
spotted eel
lobster
crab
squid
wall of sardine like fish
huge tarpon
sea horse

You also go through a small cavern.

Once you are done there, circle the island in the Jeeps - stop for lunch or drinks on the other side (east side) at Coconuts.

This will be a wonderful day.......:D

We were staying in Playa in December and did two day trips over to dive. You likely will need to be on the 8:00 am ferry to make it out on a dive trip. We got in and just hopped a short taxi ride down to the marina to meet our dive guide who had previously given me all instructions for smoothly getting from playa to her boat. We went out with scuba with Alison (google that and you can find her website) and had a great time, she has many repeat clients. Alison, and presumably many other dive operators, can take snorkelers too and even brought along a guide for my fiance and her brother to snorkel with. That might be a good option for everyone to enjoy the water together, whether divers or snorkelers, and then spend the rest of the day doing whatever you like. We did not partake, but renting scooters on Cozumel is a very popular activity so that could be an option to get around the island a bit although if venturing to the east side a car would be more practical.

I will echo the comments on buying one way tickets. Not only because you don't want to have to be headed back at a certain time but sometimes you can't make it (and your fiance is meeting you in Playa because you told her you would be on a certain ferry and couldn't make it until the one two hours later - I'm still in trouble for that one).

Have fun!

MY OPINION ONLY - I don't want anyone to jump all over me.

I like the beaches in Playa better than Coz. The diving in Coz is a must. Last trip I went over on the first ferry and did 2 dives meeting my wife and friends in the PM for shopping and dinner. I suggest your non-divers should visit Coz at least once to experience the town but Playa is a more happening place. You can't beat 5th Avenue!!!! Don't forget to dive the cenotes.

hey ed, no worries, everyone should be able to speak their opinion without being jumped on, i disagree with your suggestion because i am not big into the shopping and party aspect, but i agree with your suggestion for the reasons you mentioned so "good advice" ...

most of the comments so far are terrific and ideal ... especially the one about heading to Chankanaab Marine Park ... great place if you are only doing a day (which you are) ... however a bit like fast food diving if you were there for 2 weeks ... so i would also recmnd it for a great day trip ... and hitting cocnuts for a local pina colada is a must (perhaps a grass aht or grasshopper weaved live as well) ...

dive safe

Going to Coz and only shore diving is like going to Disney Land and only riding the tea cup ride. The REAL diving is out on the walls. The folks who suggested the divers go earlier and dive with a dive op are correct. You won't be dissapointed. If you are experienced and wish to maximize your bottom time, go with a smaller op. The Cozumel forum here has many great options to read about.

When your non diving friends join you, there is plenty top side to do. The downtown square is a fun time for shoppers, foodies and drinkers. Renting a jeep and going to the east side "wild side" is a lot of fun. There is no power over there and a half dozen beach bars to eat or drink in. Great view! Don't worry about the huricanes. I have been there five times since and everything is fine. But I also agree with the previous beach comments. Playa has them beat, for the most part. The southern most beaches are very nice though and not nearly as crowded as the mainland.

The dining on Cozumel is excellent. I suggest you have at least lunch or dinner in San Miguel. Some of my favorites are (in no particular order): La Choza, Camillos, Primos, Casa Denis, Guidos, La Mission (Ave.30), Sanora Grill and many many more. Take a look at the stickey on the Coz forum for more detail on dining.

Also, every Sunday night the locals gather in the square for entertainment, music and dancing. Lots of fun, join in have fun. The island is very safe.

Hope this is of some help.

PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom