Day Trip From Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbaty

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a place to dive off Tampa for my son and I in the end of Sept. My only requirement is that there be a beach near the dive boat for my wife and daughter to hang out at. Suggestions would be great. I saw a website for the Regina which is a walk in dive. Is it worth going to? I have never done a trip to the Gulf so I don't know what to expect. Any info you could share would be great.

Captian Ty here on scuba board is the man to call
http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=72123
Also tanks alot is a good choice.
We have a nice beach dive about 45 min away from Tampa that has a real nice beach as well
Spanish Rocks :wink:
Kim P
Here is the info...
Spanish Rocks
from last weekend ( be sure to meet us at noon at Sea Trek):
I-75 south from Tampa to the Bradenton/ State road 64 exit( there is an A and B so take the A exit it will head you toward the beach). You are going to take the exit toward the right. Stay on that road for about 8 miles or so until you get to Gulf Dr.( you will hit Gulf Dr. after you cross the intercostal waterway)You make a left on Gulf Dr. and take it down about 1/2 mile. Just before the curve to the left there is a beach access and parking. That is where you want to be. It is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. Just pull in there and park. Gear up walk down the beach to the left about 50 yards (6 houses) enter the water swim out about 50 yards and dive max depths 22ft.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...91634991865426876.00000111d8ab109f7f281&msa=0

How far away from Sea Trek is that. Could I actually dive the Regina and then head down to Spanish Rocks and do both? Also, have you been to the Regina?

scottbaty:
How far away from Sea Trek is that. Could I actually dive the Regina and then head down to Spanish Rocks and do both? Also, have you been to the Regina?
Yes you could do both very easily. They are about a mile or so apart. The Spanish Rocks are north of Regina. I have done Regina. I say it is worth doing once to say you have done it. There isn't much left of the wreck and it is only about 11 feet deep. The Spanish Rocks are a much better dive. I would personally do it twice instead but by all means do Regina. The worst that will happen is you will be a little bored and anytime in the water is better than no time in!!!!!!:D

I wanted to do the Regina because of the chance of seeing SeaHorses. Are those chances worth doing the dive?

Chances of spotting a Seahorse are better at Spanish Rocks and the Beach is much better at the Spanish Rocks as well. You should try to arrive early because there is not much parking between a house and some apartments, maybe 10 vehicles at most. We saw one two weekends ago, other divers I have spoken with say they see one or two each trip. The rocks are 100 - 400 yards out.

Reef_Haven:
Chances of spotting a Seahorse are better at Spanish Rocks and the Beach is much better at the Spanish Rocks as well. You should try to arrive early because there is not much parking between a house and some apartments, maybe 10 vehicles at most. We saw one two weekends ago, other divers I have spoken with say they see one or two each trip. The rocks are 100 - 400 yards out.

Reef Haven has it right - better chances at Spanish Rocks. I wouldn't look so much in the reef, I would look in the grassy stuff surrounding the reef that is where I spot them typically. May I just say, skip the Regina. Get your wife comfy on the beach at Spanish Rocks and make a day of it there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom