Day Island Wall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Nice turnout on Day Island Wall last evening. Besides meeting Bob Lew and Valerie in the parking lot, there were about a dozen or so divers in the water with us. We saw two other dive teams out on the wall. Vis was on the order of 15-20 feet.

Lynne and I dropped down at about 20 fsw into a mild current, and as we swam toward the wall the current decreased steadily. We spent 33 minutes on the wall (out of 60 minutes total bottom time), and saw several "hungry" wolfies, as well as all the usual suspects. There was no current at all on the wall, but once again on the way in the current increased steadily as we got shallower. The stiffest current of the evening was during our safety stop.

Here's a photo show from the dive ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/nB5xV3Ih

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great show as usual Bob!Thanks for posting...
Hope all is well with you!
Love my new light! Camera is next!

Still planning on coming down again later this year...???

You might get the idea from the photo show that Bob spent the whole dive taking pictures of one or two wolf eels . . . But we saw at least seven or eight of them, including two mated pairs, and more than one came completely out of hiding to check us out (and get in arguments with one another). It was definitely a wolf eel-intensive dive!

But the wall was also rich in other life -- I found a tiny grunt sculpin no bigger than my thumb, several scaly-headed sculpins, decorator crabs, leafy hornmouths, and a large number of bigger sculpins of whose precise identity I'm not sure. And on the way back out, Bob found a good-sized GPO under a rock where there certainly wasn't room for an animal that size.

Visibility was good, the current was minimal, and I got the cuff dump to work. It was a very nice dive!

Drewpy:
Great show as usual Bob!Thanks for posting...
Hope all is well with you!
Love my new light! Camera is next!

Still planning on coming down again later this year...???
Hopefully in October, Drew ... looking forward to it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Make it the weekend of October 14/15 -- Peter and I are going to be down there then, we can make a party out of it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom