Day 2 DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Schlink

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We'll, I'm glad that some of you are having a great time at DEMA, it's a shame that most of the people that spent thousands of dollars for booth space aren't quite as excited. I spoke to quite a few more vendors today and it's looking rather bleak for just about everyone I spoke with. Several friends travelled quite a long distance and are very sad about the lack of attendance. The aisles were wide open all day.
Although for many divers it's an opportunity to meet old and new friends and to check out some of the new "toys", this is not at all what DEMA is about. I was able to stop by Halcyon's booth and they had a nice showing. Niterider has a great new HID light system for those interested in video or constant light for digital stills. I sincerely hope this isn't the death nell for DEMA as several have expressed. I'm going to the awarsds banquet tommorrow night (My wife wants to meet Leslie Nielson!) which should be a lot of fun. Maybe tommorrow will bring more traffic for the vendors, they could certainly use the business.-M

Michael,
I fully agree... we spoke with a wide range of vendors at booths from travel to equipment and they all said the same thing -- there isn't anyone around (and you can see it too). For some booths this has meant less visitors but no real decrease in sales but that may be a minority result, I suppose it depends on who each booth is looking to target. Speaking to some DEMA "pros" it sounds like the timing and location had an impact this year which lead to a few big names not showing this year and thus a notable decline in visitors and booths. There are a few optimists who had high expectations for Friday and Saturday but others met this claim with skeptism and I fear they may be right. With any luck things will work out and it will be a worthwhile trip, even if not a great one for everyone who showed up. On the bright side there is clearly business happening for some booths and most people seem excited about the Vegas show next year or at least it’s potential.

Seeing Leslie Nielson was a bit of a shock and something I had forgot about entirely... we posted a few photos in the gallery but hopefully you'll get to actually say hello tomorrow!

Yeah,

it's a mixed bag alright! The vendors who are flexible seem to take it in stride and are making some incredible "lemonade". Those who are not as flexible are obviously at greater risk for this event becoming a "bust" for them.

But hey, the writing was on the wall about this DEMA even before we got here. We knew some of the big players were not going to be here, and that attendance would be way down. While I would have loved to see a full DEMA for my very first one, this has STILL been a great show. All I can suggest is for the Exhibitors to keep their regs up and do the best with what they get!

I don't think Houston, TX is the best place to hold a dive equipment show.
Florida, California, maybe the coast of North Carolina, but Houston ???

Just don't think it was a good marketing decision, but that's just my opinion.

My early days as a dive shop owner were enough to get me to boycott dema. It always sounded like a good party though. I tried to get to Florida to dive and visit during the last one there but I still wouldn't have gone to the show.

MikeFerrara:
My early days as a dive shop owner were enough to get me to boycott dema. It always sounded like a good party though. I tried to get to Florida to dive and visit during the last one there but I still wouldn't have gone to the show.

I was at Dema yesterday and coldn't find Dee's booth! Didn't run into any scubaboarders. I'll be there all day today, but will be attending several PADI seminars to get my instructor update credits.

Hope to see you all there! Today I will be wearing a Blue XT~Sea shirt! Black or white long sleeved with my logo, long blonde hair, 5'2"...I'm the one wandering around looking lost...haha! It' overwhelming to me since it is my first DEMA. I ad to cancel last minute last year.

Trade shows have always been one of those "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" things.

Christi:
Dee doesn't have a booth. Send me a PM and I'll send you her cell phone number. She will be there today.

So 'Tasha,

Tell us how you were the hula girl last night!!! :D

NetDoc:
So 'Tasha,

Tell us how you were the hula girl last night!!! :D

Geez.. I knew we'd miss something!!!. Darn!!! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom