Day 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So..... How was it today?

Some people are thinking this DEMA wasn't going to be good because a lot of companies won't be there and others think this could be the best one in a while.

What did you think? What did you see?

Now that you mention it...

Tech Admin, Natasha and myself went around DEMA today meeting and greeting many friends, old and new!

It was interesting to see the incredible range of Internet savvy. Many had heard of us, but did not know how BIG we really were. But there were still quite a few who had never heard of the "ScubaBoard" and were ASTONISHED at how big we really are...

Take last month's "page views"...

PADI had about 1.5 million page views last month... That's pretty strong!
Rodale's had about 1.5 million page views last month... They are doing pretty good too!
But ScubaBoard weighed in with about 4 million page views last month. That's more than both of those "big hitters" plus another million page views! :D

No one else comes close! Thanks ScubaBoard for such a magical environment.

This is only my 3rd time going to a DEMA. So far, day 1 a big thumbs up.

Even without the manufactures that pulled out, the place was packed.
It was still a chore to get to everyone. I only worked about 1/8 of it today, and I'm pooped, put but ready for more! :winky:

I hate to disagree with Natasha, I however have been going to DEMA for about 18 years. This years floor is approx. 75% of last years floor space at Miami AND about 75% of the vendors are travel related so without a doubt this is more of a travel show than previously. Several good friends (vendors) are very concerned at this point as traffic was described as "very light". They are hoping for a better day tommorrow. We had a "cold front" blow throught this afternoon that brought in a little rain but it should be sunny and in the 70's the rest of the week
As far as equipment mfg.'s present -Oceanic, Aeris, Tusa, Zeagle and a few of the less popular folks. If you went to Vegas a couple years ago you may remember that Deep Outdoors had sponsered the "Fashion Show" and had quite a large booth, this year they have scaled way back. DiveRite has a small booth but I didn't see Halcyon. Oxycheck has a small booth as does Ikelite. Light and Motion has a very nice spot up front and nicely done. Sea & Sea didn't do alot. I haven't made it by Gates yet but I glanced at their booth and it looks pretty good. Training agencies are PADI, SSI, NAUI, IANTD, TDI/SDI along with a few of the other guys. PADI has their usual very nice booth but I think they have less real estate than last year. SSI has a small booth and I didn't look at NAUI. SDI/TDI has a little booth. I think it's still a great show but it does have a different "feel" to it.

I am personally VERY disappointed that the large mfg's pulled out, the "ripple" or "trickle down" effect is quite obvious. The mfg's have given a variety of reasons for not attending this years show but there a quite few of us who are convinced that had the show been somewhere else besides Houston we would have seen better attendance-JMHO- If you have never been it should still be quite fun and there is certainly plenty to see.

Several rebreather mfg's are showing their latest toy, if you aren't saving for a rebreather start because just like Nitrox they're probably going to be the "thing of the future" and the future is here.

ScoobaDoo's new little scooter seems to be getting a lot of attention and it's small size is nice. My old Tekna DV3X's had nothing on these neat little DPV's.

On another note Caymans Islands are in full force and I think anyone that is hesitating to travel there shouldn't. They are positive and moving forward and certainly could use some divers so if you had the Caymans in your plans, keep them there. Give them a little time to get the place fixed up and then get on down there and help them get back on their feet!!

I'm going to walk around the floor tommorrow again and if I get home in time I'll try to throw something on the board if anyone is interested.-M

Michael Schlink:
Several rebreather mfg's are showing their latest toy, if you aren't saving for a rebreather start because just like Nitrox they're probably going to be the "thing of the future" and the future is here.

I'm going to walk around the floor tommorrow again and if I get home in time I'll try to throw something on the board if anyone is interested.-M

This is a great show for re-breather "stuff"!

I'll be at the IANTD booth. Stop by and say hello. Cheers!

Mike:
I only made it to the travel booths and that was enough to keep me very busy. From your stand point I can understand the difference. It is indeed more of a travel show now, but that is why I go.

I ahd a blast yesterday! On further reflection I would have to say my personal highlights were:

Meeting two more mods face to face: SubMariner and Curt Bowen.

Meeting many many more ScubaBoardians and even a few NEW ScubaBoardians (Welcome KatrinaKVR) as well.

Winning a brand new Dry Suit from UTC Sports was also pretty cool... I almost passed it by except that Tech Admin kept pushing me over to it (you really want one Pete!). I was twenty feet away and recognised that way-cool card that Tech Admin had made for us as he pulled it out of the bowl! WHoooooo Hooooooooooooo!!!

hey! congrats!! Now...where ya gonna use it?

WooHoo....you lucky dog!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom