Datamax Pro Plus Battery Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've had a Datamax Max Pro Plus for many years and it's been completely reliable, with annual battery changes. Now I'm having an issue with a low battery indication followed by computer turning off, after every one or two dives. I open the battery compartment, clean the battery terminals with a pencil eraser, reassemble, and everything is good for awhile but the problem reoccurs after another couple of dives.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? There's no evidence of battery compartment leaking or any other problem. Seems like a poor battery connection but I don't know how to improve it. Thinking about a dab of dielectric paste on the battery terminals.

I had EXACTLY the same problem with my Pro Plus. Tried the same things you did and it never really got any better. It never would shut down during the dive, but upon surfacing it would shut down after 10 minutes losing all of my accumulated Nitrogen and O2 Exposure data. I never did figure out what was wrong.

So just do this: Send it back to Oceanic as a "repair." They won't even try to repair one that old but will sell you a brand new Pro Plus 2.1 for something like $280. Totally worth it. Besides, you've gotten your money out of that old one by now...

-Charles

Does sound like we are experiencing the same problem. Mine shutdown after the 2nd dive this weekend and stayed inop until I got home and rinsed my gear. Now it's working again but all the data is erased.

I did inquire awhile back on that trade-in deal you mentioned. Oceanic is offering this deal:

"We can indeed offer a service upgrade of your original green-button Datamax Pro Plus computer to the current model Pro Plus 2.1 basic unit, for a cost of $370.00 plus any applicable California sales tax and a $10.00 shipping and handling fee."

That would bring my total cost to $410 for a new computer with a street price of around $600. Not a bad deal although I think I'd prefer a non-AI computer this time.

Yes, that's right. $370. Still way cheaper than you can get it anywhere else, including the discount Internet suppliers.

The Pro Plus 2.1 is far more advanced that your old Datamax but yet it still retains that BIG, gorgeous display that I can easily see. In my opinion, this is what makes it such a great computer. I've even had other divers tell me they could see my display from 10 or more feet away at times.

You liked the old Datamax. Why do you want to change and get away from AI?

-Charles

While I've been diving Datamax Pro Plus II's for some years now (own 4 plus gave one away as a gift) and I've been very happy with them generally, I feel Oceanic really hasn't made any appreciable capability/technological improvements to them in quite a while (some years)...which is nice in a way, as I don't feel I'm missing out on anything by not owning the 'new' version. I expect to take delivery in the next few days of a pair of Atomic Cobalts, which have a retail price approximately 50% higher than the 'new' Oceanics, but IMHO represent much more than a 50% improvement in capabilities/features/display, and represent a signifcantly more modern dive computer......Oceanic has been standing still technologically speaking, but if one's budget only stretches so far, the Oceanic still 'works' adequately.

Yes, that's right. $370. Still way cheaper than you can get it anywhere else, including the discount Internet suppliers.

The Pro Plus 2.1 is far more advanced that your old Datamax but yet it still retains that BIG, gorgeous display that I can easily see. In my opinion, this is what makes it such a great computer. I've even had other divers tell me they could see my display from 10 or more feet away at times.

You liked the old Datamax. Why do you want to change and get away from AI?

-Charles

I will probably do the exchange as it is a pretty good deal. I'm moving away from AI because I prefer a simple brass SPG and a wrist computer for most of my diving.

I returned my ten year old Datamax Pro Plus for the Oceanic upgrade to a new Pro Pus 2.1. Took ten business days just like they said, and is costing $380 shipped. UPS says it should be here tomorrow. Seemed liked the best option fore dealing with the old computer even if I decide to resell the new one before diving it.

Anyway, that's how this issue ended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom