Datamaster Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llray35

Reaction score
My Datamaster has been an excellent computer and I would like to continue to use it, however the batteries have died. Will simply changing the batteries restore function or is a reset required? Is there still an upgrade available for this computer? What are my options?

Thank you for your help.

DataMaster - wow. It's not a "user-changeable" battery - although many do so. I've heard cases where it's been fine, no problems at all - as well as cases where the unit would not power up. We have absolutely no ability to service these units - you can trade it in for any of our other models - check with your dealer or our customer service department for details.

It's sad that Oceanic has CHOOSEN to suspend service on a product. Doug's claim that "We have absolutely no ability to service these units" is not true. They want to sell you a new one! the This is akin to a Toyota refusing to service it's cars and then they expect you to buy another. I have a Datamaster Sport, and years ago when they refused to change the battery, I simply learned how to change it myself. Do a search on the board and you will find the battery and procedure, then go to Radio Shack and buy the battery. Oceanic makes a great line of products (the Datamaster Sport is proof). But I cannot stand by a company that won't stand by it's product. Because of this alone I will not purchase their products. Sorry Doug.

I have just changed the batteries in my Data Master sport. I had a very hard time getting out the screws but they came out. Now I need to replace a few of the screws and haven't been able to find any this small. I sent a E-mail to Oceanic and have not herd anything back from they yet. The computer has booted up and is running fine. I just need the screws to make it water tight. Any help from anyone would be very help full.
Dennis

It's sad that Oceanic has CHOOSEN to suspend service on a product. Doug's claim that "We have absolutely no ability to service these units" is not true. They want to sell you a new one! the This is akin to a Toyota refusing to service it's cars and then they expect you to buy another. I have a Datamaster Sport, and years ago when they refused to change the battery, I simply learned how to change it myself. Do a search on the board and you will find the battery and procedure, then go to Radio Shack and buy the battery. Oceanic makes a great line of products (the Datamaster Sport is proof). But I cannot stand by a company that won't stand by it's product. Because of this alone I will not purchase their products. Sorry Doug.

How do you know what they can service, or what step they need to do to service that computer. IBM is not servicing their 486 computer anymore, a cell phone from that period is not serviceable anymore. And since you open up the computer are those IC chip still available. You got 15 plus years from that computer and if I remember right they had a upgrade program for that computer to user changeable battery but you were to cheap to do the upgrade when your battery was still good. And from your statment you were not going to buy anything anyway.

How do you know what they can service, or what step they need to do to service that computer. IBM is not servicing their 486 computer anymore, a cell phone from that period is not serviceable anymore. And since you open up the computer are those IC chip still available. You got 15 plus years from that computer and if I remember right they had a upgrade program for that computer to user changeable battery but you were to cheap to do the upgrade when your battery was still good. And from your statment you were not going to buy anything anyway.

Let me give you the FACTS. I needed my battery changed. Oceanic would not change the battery, although they offered to "upgrade" me to another computer for several hundred dollars. I went to Radio Shack, bought the batteries and installed them (and have done this many times). I needed my battery changed, that's all. Those are the FACTS. This is certainly different then the "IBM" comparison as most software today will not run on that type of motherboard and processor. My 1986 Toyota still runs on gas and oil, and they still service it. Oh, by the way, I know EXACTLY what they do to service this dive computer. Perhaps you don't, but I do! Yes, I am cheap and I am not foolish with MY money. If I can get five more years out of a computer by installing a $10.00 battery why would I not do that? And contrary to what you said I would have purchased another product from Oceanic, if they had done the right thing. I said in my post that they make a fine product, however, they did NOT do the right thing so I will not buy their equipment and I will tell others about my experience. BY the way, why the condescending "too cheap" comment? Why turn this into something personal?

First of all a car is different then an electronic device, Your Datamaster sport has more in common with a 486 PC then a 1986 toyota. But try and by a engine block or frame for you toyota and they will tell you they don't make it anymore.
One other thing can you get a 1986 cell phone service today
My comparison was not with software but hardware

If you now exactly what they do for serving the computer put it out there describe the whole process. Or next time Dema in San Francisco you might try and get a tour of the factory.

What does that have to do with Oceanic refusing to change a battery??? Of course after reading into this a little more, I now understand your true motivation. Good luck with that!

What does that have to do with Oceanic refusing to change a battery??? Of course after reading into this a little more, I now understand your true motivation. Good luck with that!

No where did Doug or oceanic say they were refused to service the computer they said they can't service that computer anymore which is different.

I know EXACTLY what they do to service this dive computer.

You say you now exactly what they do to service the computer which I ask you to spell out but you did not say.
Reading a little more on you I see you were looking for a manual for this computer a few year back did you buy this computer used not knowing its unserviceable also why do you need a manual if you now this computer so well?

November 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM #2
bandlvh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you located that manual? If so, I was looking for one as well........If not I'll let you know when I find one.

The fact is electronics have come a long way since 1986 much farther then cars in the same time period

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only relaying my personal experience. My LDS and I spoke with Oceanic years ago and they stated they would not service the computer and would not change the battery. I have since serviced it myself which consists of lubricating the O-Ring and changing the battery. I'm not sure why you invoked Doug's name, however, based on his posts he seems to be a very helpful company Rep. Just for the record I bought this gem of a dive computer 20 years ago, along with my US Divers Conshelf first stage and regulator (which is still serviced annually by my LDS). I bought it new, and years later lost the manual (if you read my posts you know this). I still maintain Oceanic should have changed my battery as I requested instead of trying to "upgrade" me. I am always surprised when people so freely make personal attacks on a board like this. Calling someone else a cheapskate and a liar without cause puts your real character on display for all to see. I will not engage in any further back and forth with you, except to say that you should reflect on how you speak to other people. Your comments are unwarranted and unwelcome.

No where did Doug or oceanic say they were refused to service the computer they said they can't service that computer anymore which is different.
I know EXACTLY what they do to service this dive computer.[/QUOTE]

You say you now exactly what they do to service the computer which I ask you to spell out but you did not say.
Reading a little more on you I see you were looking for a manual for this computer a few year back did you buy this computer used not knowing its unserviceable also why do you need a manual if you now this computer so well?

November 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM #2
bandlvh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you located that manual? If so, I was looking for one as well........If not I'll let you know when I find one.

The fact is electronics have come a long way since 1986 much farther then cars in the same time period[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom