Datamask Owners!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doug

Do you have any update on (flooding, corroded screws and USB cable connection) posted 2007?

There are other reports (flooding, corroded screws and USB cable connection) that I will need to get more information from our support group and will update this thread as soon as possible.

Regards
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

There is an updated battery cover kit available from Oceanic. Your Oceanic dealer can order and install it for you. Later production masks probably have the new cover and screws already.

The kit addressed the flood and corrosion issues. I haven't heard of any USB issues since 07.

Phil

In the past, I purchased two Datamasks. For the high price of the masks, I felt that they should be able to perform all advertised functions without a problem. One of the first things I tried was uploading and downloading to the mask(s). What a nightmare. I never did get a good upload or download, and when I called Oceanic, they very nicely (they are great people!) told me that they weren't surprised and were working on a better way to attached the downloading cable to the masks. For the price, I think that the uploading/downloading process could have been much better (for instance, it could have easily been done with Bluetooth!) My masks were returned for a refund.

I had those problems immediately upon getting the masks. The masks I purchased never made it to the water. Not that many people care about being able to upload/download the computers in their mask (or even standard computers). However, I felt that whether one is interested in uploading/downloading the computer(s), they should be able to do so without any trouble - particularly after having spent $1500. When I called Oceanic, they admitted there was a problem and told me that they hoped to be able to change around the way the downloading cable connected to the mask/computer in future models. (I don't know if it ever got changed). However, it was such a hassle to download a mask/computer that it was easier and took less time just to do things manually. Many people though I was/am too picky. However, I simply felt that, for $1500, everything should work perfectly and without a hassle.

I had those problems immediately upon getting the masks. The masks I purchased never made it to the water. Not that many people care about being able to upload/download the computers in their mask (or even standard computers). However, I felt that whether one is interested in uploading/downloading the computer(s), they should be able to do so without any trouble - particularly after having spent $1500. When I called Oceanic, they admitted there was a problem and told me that they hoped to be able to change around the way the downloading cable connected to the mask/computer in future models. (I don't know if it ever got changed). However, it was such a hassle to download a mask/computer that it was easier and took less time just to do things manually. Many people though I was/am too picky. However, I simply felt that, for $1500, everything should work perfectly and without a hassle.

I wouldn't think you are picky, things should work as offered. The issue here is more about the reality of electronics in general. Regardless of individual feelings for or against these masks, I believe they qualify as first of their kind. To buy the first batch of any electronic device is in fact to become the tester for the manufacturer, not accepting that is what creates the hassle. For me this is a tolerable risk if it is backed up by a company that will be willing to fix whatever problem arises in a timely manner.

I too have a couple of these masks, loved the concept from the beginning. I was also ready to encounter some issues, so I adjusted accordingly so that I wouldn't miss one minute of diving because of the masks, I didn't allow the issues to become a hassle for me, just an inconvenience. Today (and for well over a year now) everything in the mask works without a glitch.

I still think the zipper of the case should be beefier (because I am picky). When I brought that subject to Oceanic they immediately send me replacement cases for both the masks, and that had nothing to do with the workings of the device.

You say the masks you purchased never made it to the water, does that mean you haven't dive with a datamask? I realize there is a chance you tested one or borrowed one, that's why I'm asking. If you haven't, then maybe you are missing out now. The concept appealed to you enough to cough up all that money, that is why I believe you are missing out.

I had those problems immediately upon getting the masks. The masks I purchased never made it to the water. Not that many people care about being able to upload/download the computers in their mask (or even standard computers). However, I felt that whether one is interested in uploading/downloading the computer(s), they should be able to do so without any trouble - particularly after having spent $1500.

Well I do care about downloading the info and yeah you have to hold your mouth just right to do it BUT you can do it and diving with the mask makes up for that hassle to me. I hope someday they will come up with a better cable or clip that will make it real easy. There are a couple of things I wish was different that I think most divers would like and downloading is one of them but all in all I really like mine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom