Datamask Flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EODiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had a tragedy this morning, my datamask flooded the computer/HUD portion. I don't have any idea what happened. I checked my air pressure, and my settings, then I splashed. I was looking down, then rolled inverted (lobsters hide), and my HUD went out and I got an audible alarm. When I surfaced, I took off the mask and looked at the HUD, and rusty colored water inside. The battery port has never been opened, everything appears intact. What happened?

The good news is, I was using a datamask from work, so I can take it out of service, and swap it out until I get this fixed.

it is still under warranty. but I want to know if anyone else has had similar problems, and/ or what happened. I has 6 more in my inventory. We normally dive an AGA, not the DM. I was wearing the DM for sport diving today, not work.

Our shop had a few Datamasks flood after battery changes. These masks were some of the very first on the market & from my understanding (I could be mistaken), there was some problems with getting the O-ring seals just right to prevent flooding. The later masks that came out did not have this problem, though I'm not sure what was done. Why yours would flood when the battery hatch had never been opened,.... I don't know.

I was thinking that the problem may be with the O-ring. The rusty colored water makes me think this may actually be from the last dive. Even saltwater doesn't do that much corrosion in a few minutes.

I had about 50 dives on mine when I had the same thing happen, Oceanic took care of mine. They told me they have made some changes to the cover, screws and the lens inside. Doug can probably tell us more. By the way, I still love mine.

I agree, it sounds like a flood from the previous dive. I suspect that the water was in the bottom and flowed elsewhere when you inverted for the back roll and shorted something out.

I appreciate all the responses, and I still love it too (I already swapped it out with another one, it's good to have the keys to the dive locker) It sounds like I will have to try to get in contact with Doug during the week.

There is a battery cover and screw kit available from Oceanic to retrofit the early models. There is the issue with floods, but also with the screwheads that hold the battery cover corroding.

My first datamask flooded on my first dive with it. Oceanic replaced it and the second one has 100+ dives on it without a hiccup. I love it! It's fantastic for UW photography.

I appreciate all the responses, and I still love it too (I already swapped it out with another one, it's good to have the keys to the dive locker) It sounds like I will have to try to get in contact with Doug during the week.

Did Doug ever get back with you?

Back
Top Bottom