Dark Pictures for DC 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have used my DC1200 without the strobe (Camera Only Below 25ft)at depths and never had a problem. On my last trip in 65 ft of water, overcast skies, and using my DC1200 with a wide angle lense (a set up I have used many times before) every picture I took was extremely dark to the point of barely recognizing what I was shooting. By contrast my partner using a DC600 no strobe and no wide angle took very good shots. I went back and forth with strobe or no strobe and always the the same thing. What have I inadvertantly changed that is resulting in this.?

Divelvr

Thanks but I have to ask what is the EV setting? I looked at my camera and didn't see such a setting.

Thanks but I have to ask what is the EV setting? I looked at my camera and didn't see such a setting.

You'll find that under 'adjusting exposure'(EV Compensation) in your user manual. You may have inadvertently lowered that setting, resulting in severe under-exposure.

In low light conditions I assume you are using the built in flash.

There are two distance setting on the DC1200 with either internal flash or strobe.

One that affects the flash (lightening bolt on the wheel on the back)
The other indicates the distance. (flower on the wheel on the back)

If you have it say set for close and are shooting further away the built in flash may not time right with the shutter. I know I have played around with these setting (using the strobe but it should work the same) taking several pictures of the same thing with different settings and if the setting is wrong I can get way under exposed.

Steve (and all who replied) as I am new to u/w photography I will take all the pointers I can. However the problem at hand was not with using my flash because my flash pics turned out ok. It was the distance shots w/o flash that turned out too dark. Other people, including my partner using a DC800 no flash had great ambient light pictures. I took an ambient light video that turned out good, it was only the "stills" that were too dark (essentially blacked out).

Did you change the set up menu to no flash when you removed the flash?

Back
Top Bottom