Dangit! I lost a fin! JBL Esclapez.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
These were my first set of freediving fins and had only been used a few times. Today I was in Half Moon Bay near San Jose and a wave took one of my fins right off my foot as I was getting in. Because visibility was only 2-3 feet with the waves, it was as good as gone right when it came off.

So.... is there any way I can purchase just one fin as a replacement? There's no left/right fin, just a one size fits all sides fin. I've contact JBL and am awaiting for their reply, although I don't know if they could give me a replacement at a good price.

This has also got me thinking about going with an open heeled fin. I've never used one, but after thinking about it, I think an open heel should be more secure and easier to get on and off with gloves than closed heel fins. Thoughts?

Sorry about your loss. I shudder to think of the emotional trauma if I lost one of my bifins!

Having used both open-heeled and closed-heel, I can emphatically say that closed heel is indeed 20-30% more power transmitted to the fin. So stick with closed heel or you'll lose too much bottom time and depth.

Have you tried fin keepers? These little gems are perfect at preventing a loss like you've just had.

Also, I use C4 VGR 81's, and the shoe-like foot pocket does not slip. I haven't needed fin keepers. If sticker shock makes you shy away from the 81's, the Mustangs might help, if the shoe is the only way you can make it work.

Anyway, try fin keepers first. Good luck with replacing your fin - give Vanessa or Greg a call at the Freedive Shop in Sacramento, they are the most helpful folks on earth.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom