Dangerous- or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would probably have thumbed it on the basis of "not much fun" rather than pure risk, but clearly the stage was certainly set that if something did go wrong it could have escalated quickly. Definitely a dive you would want to conduct during a heightened state of alertness.

So from reading the thread, it is clear that most experienced divers would have "thumbed" the dive. The op and his buddy did not. It was a high stress dive, for sure, due to dark, low viz, surge and weather. A lot could have gone wrong, but didn't. Many of the risk factors on this dive related to entry and exit, and I understand that once down, the divers may have wanted to get some bottom time for their effort. I am sure each learned from the dive , and are better divers for it, in part because of their perseverance, and in part in spite of it. Having learned what they have, my guess is that if they have a repeat experience as to conditions, viz surge and weather, they will agree with the rest on this thread, and thumb the dive. Live and learn, and live to dive another day.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks to everybody who responded. In the future I would "thumb" a similiar dive. I consider it a training dive with something learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom