danger of cysts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend has a large fluid filled cyst and wants to learn how to dive. Is this dangerous as it does not bother him.

I hate to ask the obvious but has he asked his doctor's opinion? If so what did his doctor say? IF his doctor is unsure his doctor could always contact DAN if he/she is unsure of the hyperbaric effects on the cyst.

It probably would depend on where the cyst is and what the implications of rupturing it are.

For a cyst in the skin, it probably wouldn't matter. For something internal, I'd ask the doc.

I am not a doc but I played one on TV. If it is fluid filled it isn't compressible. Where the heck is this thing ? FWIW I had a cyst on my wrist that I finally had cut out as it made it tricky to get a good seal with drysuit cuffs. It was actually a couple of lumps that I called a wristicle. I sure do miss those boys...

You can have cysts in anything from your brain to your ovaries. The implications are different depending on where they are, how big they are, and what they are doing over time.

A fluid filled cyst will not change when the person dives. But that doesn't mean that the cyst couldn't cause complications intrinsic to its nature that might impact someone underwater.

We need more information to answer the question intelligently.

he said it was a simple abdominal cyst and his doctor said it should not cause any problem unless he was diving past rec limits and doing deco stuff.

Back
Top Bottom