Dang Flossie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coachrenz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yep, I did it. I was dumb and scheduled my Manta/Black Water dive with Big Island Divers for the last diveable day of my trip to the Big Island. About 30 minutes before I was getting ready to leave for the dive shop when I got the dreaded call.

They called the dive due to Hurricane Flossie and the Hurricane watch that was on.

I did have a great couple of weeks of diving, but, the highlight of my trip was going to be the manta/black water.

Now, I guess just getting off the island will be a highlight. My plane is scheduled to leave just as the the high winds are predicted to hit. I have already checked out of my condo, sitting at Denny's using the free WiFi and waiting to turn in my car 3 hours before my plane leaves. Maybe an overnight at the Kona Airport won't be that bad after all.

Tim

Guess that you're just gonna have to come back for another trip!

It's a bummer but it happens!

Maybe an overnight at the Kona Airport won't be that bad after all.
You know it is "kinda outside"

I'd reserve a room I think....just in case...even a junk one...rooms could get sparse if all the flights cancel no? or hurry up and buy some trip insurance, lol. Good luck, we will be thinking of you.

Well, FWIW we're still dry and calm here, just 3 miles south of Kailua-Kona at 600 feet elevation... I expect that to change, though, in a couple of hours. (Actually, I expected
worse weather earlier today ...)

That said, it makes good sense that Kailua Bay is empty of boats and most of the
charter operations have pulled their boats into some safe harbor somewhere, at
least for tonight (Tue 14 Aug).

You'll just have to come back <grin>

I made it home. No worries. I will be back...

bumpy flight?

exciting or anything?

Nothing. We were going to leave early just in case, so, they loaded us all on the plane 45 minutes early then we sat. And sat. And sat. Finally after about 20 minutes a family came on board then we sat some more. About 5 minutes before scheduled departure, the gate attended comes on board and hands 3 people first class upgrades. We finally took off about 5 minutes late. When I asked if we had really waited 45 minutes for 3 people to get 1st class upgrades, the Flight Attendant said that we actually left some people behind.

Did any of the predicted rains or wind actually hit anywhere other than South Point?

Back
Top Bottom