DAN vs Diveassure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catgirldiver

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use diveassure for their dive insurance? I am ready to make a decision and it appears diveassure has better coverage for the same amount that DAN charges. Can anyone advise me?:confused:

If you are injured in a foreign locale, many venues want proof of ability to pay your bill before discharging you from care/letting you leave the country. If you can't come up with it, e.g., a credit card with a high limit or a known entity dive accident insurance policy, things can get messy.

If you need medical air evac, they won't even wake up the crew without payment up front/solid proof of ability to pay.

DAN usually can talk providers of service to take it on faith that the insurer will make good because it is long-established, world-wide & has a fine track record. I don't believe that DiveAssure carries that kind of clout just yet.

Hope this was helpful.

DocVikingo

Look at who diveassure's carrier is.

AIG.

There are very, very few insurance companies that have as broad a base or the INTERNATIONAL respect that these guys do. In fact, DAN's little offshore Cayman Islands company is a puny and irrelavent non-entity compared to them.

There are things I don't like about DiveAssure, but this particular bit of misinfomration is pure and simple bunk.

catgirldiver once bubbled...
Does anyone use diveassure for their dive insurance? I am ready to make a decision and it appears diveassure has better coverage for the same amount that DAN charges. Can anyone advise me?:confused:

I use PDAI's Diver Protection Program, "Assit America" but for the reasons DocVikingo I think I'm either going to get DAN as well (they're not really very expensive), or switch when mine expires. "Assit America" technically gives you more for your money, but everyone I've talked to says DAN is the MAN when it comes to making sure your coverage is recognized world wide.

I don't really have empirical evidence and I'm sure, with some effort, PADI would help make sure my coverage was accepted, but what if I'm out of it - I'm sure not going to be in a condition to "fight the good fight."

Just my 2 cents worth ...

~<//><

I say go with DAN just so you know that you are supporting research and a worthwhile medical consultation service. Besides, its headquarters are just down the road from the southern part of heaven (UNC).

brandon

I use DAN because of the name recognition.

Regardless of who Diveassure's underwriter may be, I don't want to argue the point when I'm bent in the middle of Truk Lagoon.

Others are welcome to test their theory in whatever manner they deem appropriate, including a live fire drill. I can imagine the force of the arguments alone will be more than sufficient to convince some clerk in a hospital that your carrier is almost as big and important as you are and that they should just trust you that the bill will be paid.

Personally, I'll skip the argument and proceed directly to the chamber.

I have DAN insurance as well (the Master level).

At the time that I bought it, it was really the only dive insurance that I really knew about. And the reason that I will probably keep going with DAN is, like others have said, the name recognition. Everyone seems to know DAN and they don't question it.

If there were a huge compelling reason for me to change carriers I might but for now, DAN gets my money.

voidware once bubbled...
I say go with DAN just so you know that you are supporting research and a worthwhile medical consultation service. Besides, its headquarters are just down the road from the southern part of heaven (UNC).

brandon

The only drawback I can find to DAN is their ties to Duke...the school that every Kentuckian loves to hate. I guess it isn;t a big deal to me since I am a U of L fan anyway.

Leaving aside the somewhat rude & dismissive tone of your post, I would like to counter that perhaps it is you who are less than fully informed.

Having assisted with emergencies in foreign medical/chamber facilities all across the world, I can assure you that the vast bulk of medical/administrative staff don't have the foggiest notion who a dive policy's (or most any other medical coverage for that matter) carrier/underwriter may be. What they do know is that DAN pays its obligations.

In fact, the image of you discussing the fine points of plan carriers with the chamber operator/local clinic/billing coordinator at Perak, Malaysia, Koh Samui, Thailand or even Playa del Carmen, Mexico, brings a broad smile to my face.

I am not making, and have not made, any assertions regarding the robustness or name-recognition of carriers/underwriters of dive accident policies.

What I am asserting is that at least for the time being you'll generally have an easier go of it with DAN, especially in foreign locations, and ever more especially in remote foreign locations.

Perhaps DiveAssure will someday catch up to or even surpass DAN in this regard. It has not as yet.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Leaving aside the somewhat rude tone & dismissive nature of your post, I would counter that perhaps you are the one who is less than fully informed.

That seems to be a regular problem around here, not just with this one diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom