Dan Smb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My DAN Surface Signal Kit (SMB plus mirror, whistle, etc.) arrived today. I'm puzzled about one thing, and I'm hoping that someone who owns one can help me out. A couple of feet from the bottom there's a plastiic d-ring attached on one side and a velcro webbing strap attached opposite it. It appears that you can cinch the SMB with the strap, but I've no idea why. Can anyone explain the purpose? Probably really obvious, but it's escaping me for now...

To use it as a horse collar PFD?

Hold it together if it is rolled up perhaps???

Fouremco,

If I read your post correctly, then I think I can answer your question. I just bought an orange 6' safety sausage which seems similar to this DAN's version: https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html

Run the free end of the velcro strip through the plastic D ring, then "snap" it down to the velcro. This now creates a "space" or "through pocket" that you can run your hand through to "hold up" the sausage while on the surface, as opposed to grasping the sausage at the base. Look at the first illustration on the left side under the description section of this webpage: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sure-Sight-6-Foot-Multi-Function-Signal-Tube-Orange_W0QQitemZ270051678458QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1300QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem. The hand "pocket" can be created on either side of the sausage, but one side will be easier to set up than the other. Also, there's another D ring (could be steel) attached at the end of another velcro strap at the bottom of the sausage below the mesh pocket, and also a plastic clip. Put the steel D ring into the clip, and you'll have another loop that you'd run your arm through. Your forearm or upper arm will use this loop to anchor the bottom of the sausage, while your hand, through the loop 2' above holds up and can move (wave) the sausage. Hope this helps.

NJMike:
Are SMBs reusable?

In a word.....yes.

Back
Top Bottom