DAN: Sanitize equipment with 10% bleach solution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used Steramine and allied products for years, as a laboratory cleaner and to disinfect gear, especially when we've spent quality time, collecting samples in harbors. While one hundred and fifty tablets may seem a great many, we often filled large plastic troughs with twenty or more tablets at any given time . . .

My medical friends say an even better alternative is Virkon Rely On from Lanxess available in 10 packs... each tablet makes up 1 litre of solution.
Virkon Rely On.JPG
Virkon Rely+On 5gm Tablets x 10 Tabs
Virkon is a unique formulation that combines cleaning and disinfection in one action, is effective under dirty conditions allowing one-step cleaning and disinfection through high tolerance of organic challenge. Virkon powder can be applied directly to body fluid spills, including urine, for rapid disinfection prior to disposal. Virkon solution has a low toxicity, does not cause sensitisation and is biodegradable.

The broad spectrum formulation of RelyOn Virkon is unique.
No other disinfectant has the same powerful composition or extensive portfolio of performance and safety testing data. It combines application flexibility with broad spectrum efficacy, on hard surfaces, at low temperatures and in the face of organic challenge.
These qualities make RelyOn Virkon the disinfectant of choice for use in hospitals, clinics, pathology laboratories, dental surgeries and residential homes.

LANXESS product Rely On Virkon effective against coronavirus

I dropped a Stermine tablet on the floor in the bathroom (rinse gear in the tub). Since I have plenty I figured I would just toss it. The toilet was on my list of things that needed cleaning. So I tossed that tablet in figuring I would get a little use out of it. Walked away and let it dissolve. Came back later, put a brush in, gave a little scrub, flushed. Crap. The blue stained the bottom of the bowl. Scrub some more. Still blue stain. Good news is after a week the stain finally faded away. But I was having my doubts.

Crap. The blue stained the bottom of the bowl. Scrub some more. Still blue stain. Good news is after a week the stain finally faded away. But I was having my doubts.

That perennial blue stain simply means that it's working. Reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson's Curse of Lono, where Ackerman retrieves his stash from an airline toilet and his arm remains blue, all through the remaining novel.

"There is only one way to get your arm dyed blue on a 747 flying at 38,000 feet over the Pacific. But the truth is so rare and unlikely that not even the most frequent air travelers have ever had to confront it -- and it is usually not a thing that the few who understand want to talk about.

"The powerful disinfectant that most airlines use in their toilet-flushing facilities is a chemical compound known as Dejerm, which is colored a very vivid blue. The only other time I ever saw a man come out of an airplane bathroom with a blue arm was on a long flight from London to Zaire, en route to the Ali-Foreman fight. A British news correspondent from Reuters had gone into the bathroom and somehow managed to drop his only key to the Reuters telex machine in Kinshasa down the aluminum bowl. He emerged about 30 minutes later, and he had a whole row to himself the rest of the way to Zaire."

I dropped a Stermine tablet on the floor in the bathroom (rinse gear in the tub). Since I have plenty I figured I would just toss it. The toilet was on my list of things that needed cleaning. So I tossed that tablet in figuring I would get a little use out of it. Walked away and let it dissolve. Came back later, put a brush in, gave a little scrub, flushed. Crap. The blue stained the bottom of the bowl. Scrub some more. Still blue stain. Good news is after a week the stain finally faded away. But I was having my doubts.

How can it be good to dye your bcd or wetsuit?

That perennial blue stain simply means that it's working. Reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson's Curse of Lono, where Ackerman retrieves his stash from an airline toilet and his arm remains blue, all through the remaining novel.

"There is only one way to get your arm dyed blue on a 747 flying at 38,000 feet over the Pacific. But the truth is so rare and unlikely that not even the most frequent air travelers have ever had to confront it -- and it is usually not a thing that the few who understand want to talk about.

"The powerful disinfectant that most airlines use in their toilet-flushing facilities is a chemical compound known as Dejerm, which is colored a very vivid blue. The only other time I ever saw a man come out of an airplane bathroom with a blue arm was on a long flight from London to Zaire, en route to the Ali-Foreman fight. A British news correspondent from Reuters had gone into the bathroom and somehow managed to drop his only key to the Reuters telex machine in Kinshasa down the aluminum bowl. He emerged about 30 minutes later, and he had a whole row to himself the rest of the way to Zaire."

So then the moral of the story is: Next time you see "blue ice" dropping from the sky-embrace it!

Bb...

Not working...just staining...the active ingredient is very likely long gone...

After this has all passed...we're going to start seeing posts...''Sudden Rapid Deterioration of Dive Gear Components''...or...''Rashes/Inflammations from Dive Gear Not Properly Rinsed After Being Disinfected''...

It will be a speculators field day...and there will be one obvious reason as to why...

Imagine bleach in your mouth from a rental reg that wasn't properly rinsed...or rinsed at all...

Reminds me of the old safety officers lament...''I'll keep you safe...if I have to kill you to do it...

The only ones who won't be complaining are the gear retailers...and the pharmacists...

W.M...

Bb...

Not working...just staining...the active ingredient is very likely long gone...

After this has all passed...we're going to start seeing posts...''Sudden Rapid Deterioration of Dive Gear Components''...or...''Rashes/Inflammations from Dive Gear Not Properly Rinsed After Being Disinfected''...

It will be a speculators field day...and there will be one obvious reason as to why...

Imagine bleach in your mouth from a rental reg that wasn't properly rinsed...or rinsed at all...

Reminds me of the old safety officers lament...''I'll keep you safe...if I have to kill you to do it...

The only ones who won't be complaining are the gear retailers...and the pharmacists...

W.M...

It was just a gag, eh -- that comment about the perennial blue dye, in the toilet bowl. C'mon, I wasn't being serious; after all. it was followed be a Hunter S. Thompson anecdote.

I've used Stermine or something similar on regulators for decades without any negative issue whatsoever. There is, after all, some rinsing involved. After some quality time in Oakland Harbor, collecting samples over the years, I'd rather not put the "hep" back in hepatitis . . .

just use Virkon that's what a lot of rebreather divers do and it doesn't wreck the gear and kills 99% of the bugs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom