Question DAN “Preferred” vs “Enhanced”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selecting "Enhanced Individual Membership" instead of "Regular Individual Membership" increases price of "Dive Accident Insurance" while the coverage remains same (at least, in NJ).

View attachment 714626
View attachment 714624

View attachment 714627
View attachment 714625

I agree- I would never read it digitally so I'm just going to pay for the enhanced membership, but I also wanted the additional coverage.

Hm this is the same for MD, I might call and ask why. Will post an update if I do.

Per the very nice gentleman at DAN membership I talked to, they said simply that according to the insurance actuaries, people who select the new enhanced are more likely to travel and/or dive more frequently and represent a greater insurance risk, hence the additional $10/plan raise.

My DAN membership expires at the end of the month and I am trying to figure this out. As far as I can tell, the membership coverages apply to ANY trip and the insurance plans have separate benefits for dive and non dive accidents. So I guess I will call and see if coverages are cumulative for membership and insurance or separate. The repatriation for medical care seems a bit strange. My son broke his ankle while diving (don't ask) and was transported from Bonaire to Miami and then from Miami back to Cleveland under the insurance. (I"m assuming say if I have an accident in Indonesia I might get transported maybe to Singapore for additional care but not back to the US.) I don't see much benefit for the additional coverages in the "enhanced membership". Maybe someone can help me.

My DAN membership expires at the end of the month and I am trying to figure this out. As far as I can tell, the membership coverages apply to ANY trip and the insurance plans have separate benefits for dive and non dive accidents. So I guess I will call and see if coverages are cumulative for membership and insurance or separate. The repatriation for medical care seems a bit strange. My son broke his ankle while diving (don't ask) and was transported from Bonaire to Miami and then from Miami back to Cleveland under the insurance. (I"m assuming say if I have an accident in Indonesia I might get transported maybe to Singapore for additional care but not back to the US.) I don't see much benefit for the additional coverages in the "enhanced membership". Maybe someone can help me.
What plans and coverage are offered to you vary by state. Many of us (Washington State here) only have one level of coverage. So you'll have to read your own policy carefully and not rely on SB here.

The definition of "diving accident" is particularly nebulous.

Call or email DAN.

Since I already pay around 130.00 a year for my family DAN memberships, I didn't want the price to be higher, so no, I didn't select the new enhanced membership.
ok maybe a silly question, but what is the difference between the ”individual” and “family” memberships if you have to pay for coverage for individuals in the family, anyway? Or am I misunderstanding?

for example if me and my son dive, but my wife doesn’t, do I get the family one?

for example if me and my son dive, but my wife doesn’t, do I get the family one?
Family is cheaper than two individuals. Why is this a question?

I’m still confused about pricing. how much did it go up for the same coverage old vs new? DAN claimed to be at Long Beach scuba show but had no signage where their booth was supposed to be

I’m still confused about pricing. how much did it go up for the same coverage old vs new? DAN claimed to be at Long Beach scuba show but had no signage where their booth was supposed to be
You know, I could look all this up on the DAN websites (the current one and the older ones that are archived on the Wayback Machine), but I'm not going to. You can do your own homework.

I came here specifically for this discussion. For a variety of reasons, I have not dived in a few years (and I still can't believe that!) Now I'm getting ready for a summer of diving, and the new DAN is so different from before. Based on the posts in this thread, I'm thinking Regular Membership with the Preferred plan. Dive locations will be SE Florida and a week in Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom