Question DAN “Preferred” vs “Enhanced”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Encouraged by the dive-trip operators that I travel with, I have been a “Preferred” DAN member for several years. This year at renewal time, I noticed the former three levels of DAN coverage with “Preferred”$$ in the middle (flanked by “Guardian”$$$ and “Master”$) has been replaced by “Enhanced”$$ and “Preferred Dive Accident”$$$$.

I have attempted to compare/reconcile the current coverages vs the past on the website but I got weary scrolling through the endless pages of testimonials and incident reports. I’ve called and left telephone messages at DAN in Durham with no reply yet.

If I wanted a new DAN plan that approximated the old “preferred,” would that be the “enhanced” at $75/yr or the “preferred dive accident” at $158.75.

Thanks

Are you maybe confusing the DAN membership plans with the DAN insurance plans?
Membership has an enhanced category, but the accident insurance does not seem to...
What state do you live in? (the insurance varies by state...)

I received some answers from DAN. The way that I interpret this: The dive-insurance coverages previously offered under “membership” categories of “Guardian,” “Preferred,” and “Master” have been separated into categories of “membership” and “insurance.”

For me to obtain the same insurance coverages as a “preferred” member in 2021, I would renew with “normal or basic” membership and add the “preferred dive accident insurance.” (Total $117).

Are you maybe confusing the DAN membership plans with the DAN insurance plans?
Membership has an enhanced category, but the accident insurance does not seem to...
What state do you live in? (the insurance varies by state...)
Perhaps some confusion. I'm aware of the DAN "Voyager" and "Elite" plans (of the past) that had some very nice coverages for Emergency Evacuation, Medical Expenses, Trip Interruption, etc. And, yes these were not equally available in all states of the USA. However, I was referring to the the coverages listed on page 12 of the "DAN Members Benefits Handbook" where coverages for "Medical Dive Accident Coverage," "Transportation," "Disability," were listed. As I stated in the previous post, according to a DAN representative, to obtain the coverages previously made available as "preferred" membership I will need to renew as a "normal" member and purchase the additional "preferred dive accident insurance."

Perhaps some confusion. I'm aware of the DAN "Voyager" and "Elite" plans (of the past) that had some very nice coverages for Emergency Evacuation, Medical Expenses, Trip Interruption, etc. And, yes these were not equally available in all states of the USA. However, I was referring to the the coverages listed on page 12 of the "DAN Members Benefits Handbook" where coverages for "Medical Dive Accident Coverage," "Transportation," "Disability," were listed. As I stated in the previous post, according to a DAN representative, to obtain the coverages previously made available as "preferred" membership I will need to renew as a "normal" member and purchase the additional "preferred dive accident insurance."
Yes, I think there is still some confusion.
I don't believe DAN ever had a preferred membership; they only had a preferred accident insurance policy, which to be able to purchase you had to be a DAN member.

Now they are offering two levels of DAN membership, Enhanced and Regular; for an individual the prices are $40 and $75, and for families $60 and $100. The difference in the two is the Regular now does not include a printed version of Alert Diver; has less coverage for Emergency Medical Transportation and Travel Assistance; and has no Global Security Evacuation or Search and Rescue Coverage. The comparison for the two plans is:

1646068947605.png

It is important to note that NEITHER of the membership plans, nor the old plan, has any coverage for dive accidents; you have to purchase a separate plan for that, that comes (for most states) in three flavors, currently called Guardian, Preferred, and Master. For my state, Virginia, those three plans offer varying coverages for accidents:
1646068768538.png

I believe your state, Wisconsin, is identical.

Note that none of the three actually has the benefits that are part of the two membership plans. What you get for your DAN membership and what you get for your DAN accident policy are distinct.

If you want as much coverage as possible, you get DAN Enhanced Membership and DAN Guardian accident coverage.

Nest-to-Final Note: neither membership nor accident insurance are "travel insurance," which typically coverage for:
1646069489035.png

Final Note: Many/Most accident and travel policies are not available to those age 70 or older; DAN does not have that exclusion.

Selecting "Enhanced Individual Membership" instead of "Regular Individual Membership" increases price of "Dive Accident Insurance" while the coverage remains same (at least, in NJ).

1648405209908.png

1648404873221.png

1648405244543.png

1648404899256.png

I've had a family plan with diving and non-diving family members for many years and the average annual renewal for us is I believe around 120.00 or 130.00 dollars. (I always had the highest coverage level for myself, but not for other family members who don't dive or dive very infrequently just in open water.)
I was really glad we had DAN in 2019 when I had an IPE incident and was flown to a chamber about 100 miles away just in case. (I ended up not needing it..)
But, I did call at renewal this year to try to understand this new level system, and to request to still get the hard copy of the magazine, which it appears I'll no longer be getting.

But, I did call at renewal this year to try to understand this new level system, and to request to still get the hard copy of the magazine, which it appears I'll no longer be getting.

Why would you no longer be getting the magazine? It comes with the Enhanced membership, did you choose not to get Enhanced?

Since I already pay around 130.00 a year for my family DAN memberships, I didn't want the price to be higher, so no, I didn't select the new enhanced membership. And yes, I know I can still get it digitally, but for me, that means I'll usually never see it, nor can I pass the magazine on to other interested parties, some of which undoubtedly end up joining DAN.
I did just receive an issue this week though, perhaps my last...?

I know I can still get it digitally, but for me, that means I'll usually never see it,
I agree- I would never read it digitally so I'm just going to pay for the enhanced membership, but I also wanted the additional coverage.

Selecting "Enhanced Individual Membership" instead of "Regular Individual Membership" increases price of "Dive Accident Insurance" while the coverage remains same (at least, in NJ).
Hm this is the same for MD, I might call and ask why. Will post an update if I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom