DAN Membership Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver00002

Registered
Reaction score
I was under the impression DAN mailed a card when signing up, however after receiving the $20 dollar tag I didn't receive anything else. I sent an email asking about "new member mailing" and they sent me this email with a picture of the card like the "temporary" one you print after signing up.

Is this how it works?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240819-153943.png
    Screenshot_20240819-153943.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 35
I was under the impression DAN mailed a card when signing up, however after receiving the $20 dollar tag I didn't receive anything else. I sent an email asking about "new member mailing" and they sent me this email with a picture of the card like the "temporary" one you print after signing up.

Is this how it works?

Thank you.

They used to mail a card. Now, I am pretty sure you need to print it yourself.

Is this how it works?

Thank you.
The card does nothing. DAN is secondary insurance and you have to send them whatever bills you are being asked to pay (after your primary insurer if any pays) and then DAN's underwriter reimburses the provider(s).

I renewed on May 30, but it took a few weeks (six? - don't have the exact dates, sorry) before the traditional flexible plastic card arrived by post.

The card does nothing. DAN is secondary insurance and you have to send them whatever bills you are being asked to pay (after your primary insurer if any pays) and then DAN's underwriter reimburses the provider(s).

It helps to have your DAN number available if you become incapacitated.

When I went to the chamber, I turned over all my insurance cards to the hospital, including my DAN card. I had to fill out a separate form for DAN. I honestly don't know what happened after that. I am sure I got some kind of statement telling me what got paid by whom, but my wife handles those things. I only know I didn't pay anything, and I didn't have to do anything after giving my information to the hospital.

It helps to have your DAN number available if you become incapacitated.
In some chambers yes having the number is useful to give them confidence *somebody* will be paying. Otherwise some chambers expect payment up front. Also in some cases they for sure expect payment up front and they/you are on the phone with DAN's underwriter's to get them paid on a CC before treatment. But in both situations, you only need your active number, not the physical card itself. A screen shot of your card/number also works.

Yeah when I asked them why it was because they wanted to leave less of an imprint on the environment
So I told them in order to leave less of that imprint on my bank account, I want my money back in there

In some chambers yes having the number is useful to give them confidence *somebody* will be paying. Otherwise some chambers expect payment up front. Also in some cases they for sure expect payment up front and they/you are on the phone with DAN's underwriter's to get them paid on a CC before treatment. But in both situations, you only need your active number, not the physical card itself. A screen shot of your card/number also works.

I've memorized my phone number, my wife's phone number, my SS#, my wife's SS#, the code to turn off the home alarm, my PIN #, several passwords and my Amex number. I don't have any room left for my DAN number and may not be able to utter it if I needed. They would only need to search through my wallet to find the card.

EDIT: I also take a picture of it and send that to my wife and dive buddy at the start of a dive vacation.

Back
Top Bottom