Dan Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. I'm trying to explain and defend the DAN insurance. He is trying to defend a poor answer he received to the wrong question he asked, by attacking me. It is not really a contest of any kind, but it is clearly a useless discussion. I am currently waiting for a response from DAN to help clarify....not really to him but rather to readers of the thread. They should not get the wrong impression from one misguided soul.
Calling him "misguided" is adding to the pi$$ing, IMO.

LOL. I'm trying to explain and defend the DAN insurance. He is trying to defend a poor answer he received to the wrong question he asked, by attacking me. It is not really a contest of any kind, but it is clearly a useless discussion. I am currently waiting for a response from DAN to help clarify....not really to him but rather to readers of the thread. They should not get the wrong impression from one misguided soul.

People, simply refer to post (#24) in this thread regarding the truth about his initial reply and attitude. Not at all appreciated or tolerated whatsoever. If this is the norm on the forum, then have at it. Just don't whine like a baby when someone pushes back.

People, simply refer to post (#24) in this thread regarding the truth about his initial reply and attitude. Not at all appreciated or tolerated whatsoever. If this is the norm on the forum, then have at it. Just don't whine like a baby when someone pushes back.
IMO you both need to dial it back.

I have it all from DAN. I broke my leg in FIJI a few years back and they were awesome. They would have covered me getting to the hospital, though I didn't use them for that. However, they covered my hospital, my surgery, and first class for me and a friend back to the states. What a God send.

So you joined ScubaBoard to bitch about DAN?
You have purchased the cheapest plan and are complaining that it does not cover everything?
And you are using a 5-year old handbook to buttress your complaint?
Give the guy a break - a new member attempting clarification and you tear him a new a$$hole just because he’s not a know it all like you think you are.

I apologize to the SB readers of this thread and especially to the OP, BBDiver, for the uncalled-for attitude in my response to his OP. I could have made my points without being so snarky. My attitude in my post sucked; but the content stands.

I sent a query Saturday to a contact at DAN; my exact question was:

“What DAN insurance will cover an accident on a dive boat, both in the US or out-of-country, going to or from a dive site, but not in the water, so not a diving accident. An example might be slipping, falling and a shoulder rotator cuff injury.
There is an argument on ScubaBoard right now with someone saying DAN does not cover such an accident. Riding in a dive boat is not covered.”

Their response, received today, was:

“In our dive accident plans, this situation is considered a non-diving accident because the policies define diving accidents as those that occur in the water and not out of water. Hence, the reason that an accident that occurs out of water while riding on the dive boat is treated differently.
In Virgina, where you reside, the following plans provide some coverage for medical expense benefits of a non-dive accident:
Membership and Guardian Dive Accident plan: up to $30,000 benefit limit for Accident Medical Expenses due to Non-Diving Accident that occurs while on a trip outside the insured’s home country.
Membership and Preferred Dive Accident plan: up to $10,000 benefit limit following satisfaction of $250 deductible for Accident Medical Expenses due to a Non-Diving Accident that occurs while on a trip outside the insured’s home country.
However, they do not cover such non-dive accidents that occur in the insured’s home country. For all practical purposes, home country is the one used at the time of enrollment.
The Guardian plan in Virginia also contains a $30,000 benefit limit for accident medical expenses due to Named Water Sports while on a recreational trip of 50 miles or more from the insured’ home. You do not have to be out of your home country, but you do have to be on a trip as defined. One Named Water Sport is “Boating” but is defined as purely for recreational purposes and not boating for a specific purpose such as being on a dive boat for the purposes of diving.
Most other states have similar features in Preferred and Guardian plans, where available. Anyone interested should review the options for their area where they are purchasing the policy, or contact our membership department for more details, including those that may be available in the DAN Trip and Travel policies with Generali, since I do not handle the trip and travel plan claims.
They can be reached at 919-684-2948, option 1."

So it seems that the OP’s contention that DAN dive accident insurance does not cover an accident on a dive boat is partly correct; it is correct if you are in your home country and if you have the cheapest (Master) policy. For the more expensive plans, there is some coverage if you are out of your home country. “Named Water Sports” is irrelevant.

Finally, you need travel insurance – not dive insurance – to cover non-diving accidents, like an accident on a dive boat, unless you have the more expensive dive accident plans and you are out of your home country.

I apologize to the SB readers of this thread and especially to the OP, BBDiver, for the uncalled-for attitude in my response to his OP. I could have made my points without being so snarky. My attitude in my post sucked; but the content stands.
Good job!!

Thank you for providing the additional DAN reply. Interesting specifics regarding your home state (where apparently each may have different guidelines for issues within the US).

Thank you for providing the additional DAN reply. Interesting specifics regarding your home state (where apparently each may have different guidelines for issues within the US).
My Virginia policy (Enhanced Guardian) also applies in AL, AZ, DE, DC, HI, IL, IA, KY, MS, NE, NJ, NM, NC, OH, RI, SC, SD, TN, VA, WI, according to the Benefits Handbook, attached.

Attachments

• DAN-NUFIC-Enhanced-Guardian-Handbook.pdf
    569.5 KB · Views: 49
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom