DAN Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend it to any student of mine who plans to travel and dive and I have purposely never established a referral number with DAN so that I can honestly say I gain no personal benefit in making that recommendation.

The hope is that buying DAN insurance is a total waste of money... but... the one time you need it will make it the smartest money you've ever spent

All imho of course

First, please take some time to research internet posting etiquette. (Typing in ALL CAPS is considered yelling.)

Secondly, to answer your question, I think DAN insurance is one of the best things out there. It's cheap. $25 of the cost (your membership) supports DAN, an NPO, thus is tax-deductible. DAN's a good outfit, IMO. I've never heard of anyone that had to use DAN that complained about how they were treated or what DAN covered.

Hopefully, you'll never ever need it, but if you do...

BTW, pay attention to the limits, etc. of the different plans.

DAN IS GOOD INSURANCE IF YOU'RE EVER DIVING SOME REMOTE LOCALE IN THE THIRD WORLD WHERE THE CLOSEST RECOMPRESSION CHAMBER IS A SIX HOUR FLIGHT AWAY AND YOU FIND YOURSELF BENT. COURSE IT'S ALSO PRETTY HANDY IF YOU JUST HAVE SOME CONCERNS ABOUT ORGANISMS, CONTAMINATION, SICKNESS ETC AND WOULD LIKE A DOCTOR REFERRAL, OPINION, ETC.

Sorry just joking:D highly reccomend, even if you never use the coverage your money is going to a worthy cause.

Just one diving accident, no matter how small, if it requires recompression therapy can bankrupt many people.

In Canada we have a public health plan that is supposed to cover me. I checked into it and found that yes they will send me off for recompression therapy, "if an attending physician considers if necessary". The problem is most attending physicians have little to no knowledge of diving medicine, and I will end up waiting in a hospital for precious hours till the "ONE" doctor in the city who is qualified to send me off does so. I for one do not wish to wait, risking permanent damage, just because the system is not ready for this kind of accident. With DAN, my public Medicare system is side stepped and my needs are taken care of by professionals who know what is going on and how to treat me. If it requires an airlift to the chamber, it is taken care of.

If you travel without DAN insurance on a diving vacation, you need your head examined. The membership is cheap, and the premium plan is very cheap for what it gives you. If you do not travel, and have a diving accident at home, the only difference from having an accident away would be your location. The rest would be the same, so my advice is to buy it online now. The online purchase process is fast, and is how I have purchased my insurance.

DAN, I would not dive without it. Consider diving in Los Angeles CA where I live and dive. Then consider paying for a Docotr, and a technician and oxeygen for 3 2 hour rides in the chamber, plus the emergency room fees and other hospital cost. It is cheap insurace and woth the money.

Before you ask, my DCI was determined to be "undeserved" which means, dive was not in violation of any paramater, but I got bent. Go figure.

No debate really - cheap and worthwhile

packerdiver once bubbled...
WHAT ARE PEOPLES THOUGHTS ABOUT PURCHASING DIVE INSURANCE THROUGH DANN:confused: :confused:

Had it for 6 years and love it.

Never had to use it, though I know others who have.

DAN SouthEastAsiaPacific just increased their premiums' prices by 20%.
Ouch.....a smaller increase would have been kinder. I'm considering switching to PADI's next year...:(

Wish they hadn't, I kinda liked DAN too....that is until now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom