DAN DSMB - where's the manual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You reading my mind? Some of my recent additions to my doc.
I might be. How goes the chapter on using your DSMB as a redundant travel-pillow?

Or the Halloween chapter, exploring uses as "inflatable wavy-arm-guy" or to extend various .... appendages. Don't judge me, 6ft is average I swear!

I might be. How goes the chapter on using your DSMB as a redundant travel-pillow?
That's certainly would work for the entire row
Or the Halloween chapter, exploring uses as "inflatable wavy-arm-guy" or to extend various .... appendages. Don't judge me, 6ft is average I swear!
You are resourceful

Well, a lot fewer 0s, but I did throw some love your way. :wink:
Everything helps!

@wetb4igetinthewater Well I practiced deploying my DAN DSMB Wed night in a pool. All I can say is that thing is freakin’ huge! I “filled” it using my reg exhaust at 10’. It barely popped above the surface, lying flat about half the attempts. My last time I exhaled 2 breaths into it and it stood up, but only about 1’ and had a lot of buoyancy. Kinda defeats the purpose of a 2m DSMB to only have enough air in it to get to 1’ above the surface. Sure I could fill it more once on the surface if needed, but I’m leaning toward getting a shorter and slimmer one. Thoughts?

Kinda defeats the purpose of a 2m DSMB to only have enough air in it to get to 1’ above the surface.

The big ones I use to signal to the boat in heavy seas where I am when I am on the surface. Some folks my use it as a lift bag, but I don't do that myself.

@wetb4igetinthewater Well I practiced deploying my DAN DSMB Wed night in a pool. All I can say is that thing is freakin’ huge! I “filled” it using my reg exhaust at 10’. It barely popped above the surface, lying flat about half the attempts. My last time I exhaled 2 breaths into it and it stood up, but only about 1’ and had a lot of buoyancy. Kinda defeats the purpose of a 2m DSMB to only have enough air in it to get to 1’ above the surface. Sure I could fill it more once on the surface if needed, but I’m leaning toward getting a shorter and slimmer one. Thoughts?
So I recommend a bit of trial and error for determining the size/length of the DSMB that you use. In many cases, a slim one is just fine. If you are in heavy ocean swells, you want a wider one, possibly with SOLAS reflective tape.

Remember to mark your DSMBs with depth markings at the 1/2 (10 meters/33 feet), 1/3 (20 meters/66 feet), and 1/4 (30 meters/100 feet).

You need to determine what depth you need to be to inflate using the method of your choice. I am big on oral inflation while on OC for maintaining neutral buoyancy. For CC, then inflating from my wing.

If you wish to inflate with a second regulator, then be fast (before you start to rise), be deep enough, such that you will have a fully inflated DSMB at the surface.

It really is up to you what technique/size you want to use. Just because I have a preference doesn't mean that will be the method you prefer. The key is to practice in calm conditions in water deep enough. Unless you have access those super deep pools, you'll need to head out to the open water.

Is this helpful?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom