DAN DSMB - where's the manual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ordered one of the DAN 6 ft. / 2 m DSMBs in anticipation of a trip to Cozumel. One of my dive buddies had been in a situation where unexpected chop made it difficult to see a 4 ft. / 1.3 m model and recommended it. I took it to the pool, and had a hard time making it work the way I hoped. There are a lot of bits and bobs hanging off, I would like to know what they do and how to use it correctly. The "missing manual", if you will.

I was pretty shallow, the pool was only 12 ft. / 3.6 m, and it felt like I was getting pulled up quite a lot when it was only a fraction full. The DAN page says it has a 30 lb. capacity, I certainly hope I don't need an extra 30 lbs. of lead. It also seemed like it mainly filled with water, and then I couldn't get the water out. There's a pull toggle on the side but it only worked slowly. That was true even out of the water, I'm still not sure I have it fully drained. Anyone have a data sheet on these or suggestions on how best to use it. I assume I don't want to pull my BCD's inflator hose off to inflate it. Thanks.

Have you ever used a DSMB or was trained to use one before at all?

If you don't know how to use and deploy a DSMB, I suggest you search on YouTube and also consider getting tutoring on DSMB use from an instructor or an experience diver.

I have NEVER had a DSMB that came with a "manual."

The DAN DSMB can be inflated orally, using the LP inflator hose, or using the octo or second stage directed up into the duckbill valve. Any of those methods can be used on the surface.
If you are inflating it below the surface it should be tied off to a reel or spool and allowed to rise while you let the line go out.
Make sure you adjust your buoyancy before deploying it. I teach DSMB deployment from depth in my opne water classes. Starting with a 36 inch that only has about 8lbs of lift in case the diver gets tangled somehow or they hold the spool too tight and don't allow it to unwind.
This is a better video explaining the set up and deployment I found on youtube.

Have you ever used a DSMB or was trained to use one before at all?

If you don't know how to use and deploy a DSMB, I suggest you search on YouTube and also consider getting tutoring on DSMB use from an instructor or an experience diver.

I have NEVER had a DSMB that came with a "manual."
The smaller one I have is easy-peasy. It's an open-ended tube, add air to the bottom, watch it go up. I was in fact trained in its use. I overinflated it the first time as Mr. Lapenta was suggesting and dropped the spool, but beyond that the operation is simple.

The DAN one has multiple inflation options. If you have a suggestion about the best way to inflate it, I welcome that. The DAN one also seals off at the bottom so water is getting trapped in it. If you have a suggestion about the best way to get water out of it, I welcome that as well. The purge valve doesn't seem to work very quickly.

I should post a picture, there are a lot of doo-hickeys hanging off this thing. The D-ring at the bottom is obviously to keep it coiled, but there is another D-ring and a clear plastic sleeve at the top that I don't know the function of. There's a mesh pocket at the base, is that just a pocket for trash or is it supposed to do something? What's the velcro loop on the tip? Seriously, this thing has more options than a Swiss army knife. I like to understand my tools, and do not want to take safety gear that I can't reliably operate on a dive.

I was pretty shallow, the pool was only 12 ft. / 3.6 m, and it felt like I was getting pulled up quite a lot when it was only a fraction full. The DAN page says it has a 30 lb. capacity, I certainly hope I don't need an extra 30 lbs. of lead.

As on the video that @Jim Lapenta shared above, a DSMB is intended to be shot from depth. You put a small amount of air in it, and as it shoots to the surface, the air expands inflating it more.

If you put three big breaths in a DSMB at depth, you will need to adjust your buoyancy to compensate. And then as soon as you let it go, you will need to re-compensate. Usually one breath in a small DSMB at your safety stop is enough to get to expand to full by the time it hits the surface.

For a large DSMB, I'll try to launch it at 10m, which will allow for more expansion by the time it hits the surface. Once I've surfaced, if the swell is big I might fully inflate it and hang off it to make it more visible for the boat.

I ordered one of the DAN 6 ft. / 2 m DSMBs in anticipation of a trip to Cozumel. One of my dive buddies had been in a situation where unexpected chop made it difficult to see a 4 ft. / 1.3 m model and recommended it. I took it to the pool, and had a hard time making it work the way I hoped. There are a lot of bits and bobs hanging off, I would like to know what they do and how to use it correctly. The "missing manual", if you will.

I was pretty shallow, the pool was only 12 ft. / 3.6 m, and it felt like I was getting pulled up quite a lot when it was only a fraction full. The DAN page says it has a 30 lb. capacity, I certainly hope I don't need an extra 30 lbs. of lead. It also seemed like it mainly filled with water, and then I couldn't get the water out. There's a pull toggle on the side but it only worked slowly. That was true even out of the water, I'm still not sure I have it fully drained. Anyone have a data sheet on these or suggestions on how best to use it. I assume I don't want to pull my BCD's inflator hose off to inflate it. Thanks.
I actually did write a manual, but did put it on a back burner. If you are interested, I'll revive my work on it and send you a draft on the condition you don't distribute it and give me feedback.

The DAN one has multiple inflation options. If you have a suggestion about the best way to inflate it, I welcome that. The DAN one also seals off at the bottom so water is getting trapped in it. If you have a suggestion about the best way to get water out of it, I welcome that as well. The purge valve doesn't seem to work very quickly.

Just blow it up with your mouth like the video above. Don't worry about water getting into it. The purge is to release pressure from over inflation as it ascends. Once you're back on the boat you can use the purge to let air out and drain water.

I should post a picture, there are a lot of doo-hickeys hanging off this thing. The D-ring at the bottom is obviously to keep it coiled, but there is another D-ring and a clear plastic sleeve at the top that I don't know the function of. There's a mesh pocket at the base, is that just a pocket for trash or is it supposed to do something? What's the velcro loop on the tip? Seriously, this thing has more options than a Swiss army knife. I like to understand my tools, and do not want to take safety gear that I can't reliably operate on a dive.

The plastic sleeve is for a cyalume tube for night dives, and the d-ring at the top can be used to secure the cyalume tube with cord or a ziptie. Other than that, like a lot of things in diving, stuff is added to gear to give it more "features", when often less is better.

I actually did write a manual, but did put it on a back burner. If you are interested, I'll revive my work on it and send you a draft on the condition you don't distribute it and give me feedback.
Yes, I would be interested in that, please. Your conditions are fine, I am happy to give feedback in confidence.

Yes, I would be interested in that, please. Your conditions are fine, I am happy to give feedback in confidence.
Sending you a DM

Back
Top Bottom