• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dale Hollow

Discussion in 'Kentucky Piranha Patrol' started by schu1842, Mar 7, 2009.

1. schu1842

schu1842 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Has anyone had any experience in diving at Dale Hollow Lake? I was told that the water is very clear. The Army Corp.. website mentions some diving sites and I thought it might be a good trip.

2. crpntr133

crpntr133 lost, even with a compass

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Never been there myself but I know several that have been. I would say define very clear!
    There is a ton of stuff at all levels but it is cold 24-7.

3. TheHobster

TheHobster Master Instructor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    i think an issue is where to get fills - I don't know if there is a fill station on the lake - it is wuite remote as well and may even be considered an altitude dive?

4. scubagal28

scubagal28 Loggerhead Turtle

I've been there several times diving. There is a dive shop there: Willow Grove Resort & Marina on Dale Hollow Lake, TN. They have a map there of all the dive site locations. I personally like the weed beds....lots of fish and turtles. It's great lake diving.

5. crpntr133

I don't see it on their web site but they use to rent house boats. That is the way most that I know of have done it.

6. jpsexton

jpsexton Solo Diver

Houseboats are at the bottom of the page. Cabins might be pretty cool too.

This is definitely on my short list for the summer. I keep hearing allot of good things about Dale Hollow, I'd like to see it for myself.

I wonder if there is a good time of the year to go or is the visability the same year around?

7. scubagal28

I've been mostly in the summer and the vis has always been good. They also rent a pontoon boat that it set up for diving. The guys at the shop have always been really nice and helpful and they had air fill as of last summer.

8. crpntr133

John, let me know when you go!!

The LDS went several years ago on labor day weekend. This place is so big that they didn't even know that there were boat races and tons of people on the lake.

9. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

Hi:

I live close enough to make it to Dale Hollow one of these days. I'd like to go. But I've got a concern.

While a search around the Web regarding Dale Hollow turns up lots of topside photos, I hardly see any underwater photos. I realize that an inland freshwater body isn't going to have coral reefs and such, but when I hear good things about a SCUBA site, I want to see photos from a Scuba perspective.

Any good photo galleries for (underwater) Dale Hollow?

Richard.

P.S.: Those weed beds sound interesting. I've dived Pennyroyal Blue Springs and (back when it was open) Dive Cerulean, and while I like both, the latter's shallower water had nice weed beds where I could see large mouth bass and more along the bottom.

10. scubagal28

As many times as I've been I've never taken my camera.