Dahap Blue Hole, the cemetery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use the search engine of SB, it didn't show anything, is this is not appropiate please remove

IMAGES ARE DISTURBING

The are a lot of videos in youtube about the blue hole deaths, good reminders, specially for ruckies like my self, Dahap Blue Hole not in my confort zone, for me to dive I need to know the bottom is not deeper than 50m, looking at all these videos, didn't understand what drive people to dive in a plase that don't even is close to recreational bottoms, and with one tank, kind of understand the appeal for Tec divers because there is a bottom in reach.

Yuri Lipsik has have different videos regarding his end, even his last minutes

Blue Hole, Red Sea, Black Death | The Basement Geographer

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...uZDvhEPkEla4G2V1A&sig2=jWCdCLOVhxHDMRevpanV-A

The Bone Garden: A Visit to the World's Deadliest Dive Site - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

If you don't feel comfortable with a very deep bottom and choose not to dive there, that's a wise decision. That said, there's nothing inherently dangerous about the Blue Hole. People die because they try to dive the arch with single tanks, or simply try to do a new personal depth record. If you stay within your depth limit the dive site is perfectly safe.

Remy, aren't you the same gut executing decompression dives without proper training or equipment? And yet you're uncomfortable conducting recreational dives in deep water. Interesting remarks from a 'ruckie'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Why the interest in Dahab's Blue Hole? You're a new diver who lives in Curacao--you have access to more great diving than most of us could dream of. Who cares about Dahab's Blue Hole?

I dived in Dahab a few years ago, but as a recreational diver diving with a reputable operator I was kept well away from the Blue Hole. I recall hearing about it. A group of technical divers was returning from a dive there as my group was heading out to dive. It's of no interest to me.

but as a recreational diver diving with a reputable operator I was kept well away from the Blue Hole.

Why? There's nothing dangerous about the dive, it's really easy actually, warm water, incredible visibility and no big currents. You can't get lost either. It's really pretty too, plus you get to watch professional freedivers train there.

Why? There's nothing dangerous about the dive, it's really easy actually, warm water, incredible visibilty and no big currents. You can't get lost either. It's really pretty too.

Okay, you got me. I don't know anything about Dahab's Blue Hole, other than its (undeserved?) reputation as being dangerous. I did not ask my dive operator to take me to the Blue Hole. We dove at some site that they told me was near the Blue Hole, but we did not enter it.

I was responding more to express my curiosity at the OP's curiosity about the Blue Hole than to express my personal knowledge (or lack thereof!) about it. You are no doubt much more well informed than I am.

for me to dive I need to know the bottom is not deeper than 50m,
Many places we go provide wall dives. I have no idea how deep some of them are. many are much deeper than I can safely go. I utilize that portion of the dive site that is well within recreational limits. with no concerns on how deep the wall or water directly below or near me actually goes. looking down into the blue below a wall is an interesting experience. it was a little unsettling the first time as i have a fear of heights.

doing a "blue" entrance where the dive boat mooring system places it out beyond the reef is also a unique experience. you are far enough from the wall and the "bottom" below you is well out of visual range. all you can see is blue. and once the dive boat swings away from you, you are "alone" (well except for my buddy). a great exercise of your compass and depth gauge reading and buoyancy abilities as you head towards the wall to start your dive.

blue holes are just another example. their depth does not matter if you dive safely.

I was on a liveaboard in Turks and Caicos, where, depending on how the boat was swinging on the mooring, you might have been doing a giant stride into 4000' or so of water. At one point we swam away from the wall and into the blue--a little disorienting. I thought I was level in the water until I looked at the angle of my compass in the housing.

Many places we go provide wall dives. I have no idea how deep some of them are. many are much deeper than I can safely go. I utilize that portion of the dive site that is well within recreational limits.
Me, too. I've dived walls where the bottom is at a depth requiring hypoxic trimix, and no worries. Just make sure to stay above 30m, and there's no problem. Just be certain you can do that.

I love wall dives. There's something special about hanging over the abyss, floating weightless between the light from the surface and the deep dark of the water below me. The feeling I get when I glide slowly over the edge and suddenly there's only water below me, then exhaling and sinking slowly down towards the dark still gets me. However, If I were to take someone with just a few dives in the log on a dive like that, I'd make doubly sure the person has sufficient buoyancy control to be able to hover fairly decently, not yoyoing up and down. A person who doesn't have decent buoyancy control has no business being on a wall dive without a hard bottom at rec depths. And since I'm a stickler for redundant buoyancy, I thumbed the dive when I realized my buddy's BCD couldn't hold air and he only had the DS to ensure positive buoyancy.

I remember my first wall dive. Must have been dive ten or twelve total. We swam out in a channel on a reef, maybe 40 ft. deep. Then the bottom dropped out, abruptly, all blue. And an eagle ray came by that second, out in the blue. I was awestruck. We turned, swam along the wall, a bit deeper maybe 60ish. I loved it, in particular those first few seconds swimming out into the blue. I was never worried about losing buoyancy control and disappearing into the abyss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom