dacor vyper noises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We were out diving in some springs this previous weekend and i had a rented dacor vyper (viper, spelling?) from the store for the two days.

The first dive to 48' was fine, i think even the second to around 60' was fine too, but the third to 30' and two others that night and the following day to around 20' max (river drift) there was a wheezing noise coming from the reg as i breathed.

I found that the noise was coming mostly when i was breathing in a harder to try to rise over things (inc lung vol to ascend a little - normal breathing followed by an exhale) that the noise happened, it also happened when i was upside down looking at stuff. Is this common on that type of reg, or was a sucking too hard on it and so it reached max flow? Or was this a sign of something else?

It wasnt a big problem, like one of those things you hear when you are driving and wonder if it is something, but nothing happens. My buddy was never more than 15' away, nor was the surface that far on those 3 dives (30, 20, 20), so not unduly worried.

Thanks, Simon

just to let you know, it was the second stage making the noise while i was underwater, however other regs were making similar noises above the water as we were jumping in.

Just about any second stage can or will make a 'farting' noise above water. Don't worry about it.

Underwater, this subject isn't new - I think just last night we were discussing second stage resonance. Probably just a spring that's getting the right harmonics for a buzz. I would say with rental regs, you're not going to get regs in the best condition anyway, and secondly - don't dive with Dacor's.

:)

Boogie,

thanks for the quick response.

This was in essence what i was after, just that it was a normal noise. We took our OW on sherwood, which from what i gather are solid and dependable. There were a few things i didnt like about the reg, but the noise was the only one that concerned me slightly. the single side vent is just plain undesirable. Like i said in the original, new car, new noise, same i guess with each piece of gear i rent.

Yes i am pretty new, but another girl who was diving with us that day, cert in 97 also asked about the wheezing on the surface, so i am not alone - although judging by her style (or lack thereof) it was plain she was a little rusty - our DM was quite complimentary with how we carried ourselves underwater in terms of bouyancy and lack of silting for such newbies. Still much more work though to be done on that aspect.

Back
Top Bottom