Dacor / Mares Trade Up Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know Mares supports their older/discontinued regulators also - but I don't know how far back that goes.

When I first started diving, in 1969, Aqualung was the "king" - but anymore, I think there are lots of good manufacturers out there.

If you want what seems to be "good corporate ethics" - I think Aeris/Oceanic and Zeagle seem to be a step above - but they are newer companies - so there is no telling how they will support gear that is discontinued for a number of years. But from what I have heard, they make good gear.

I don't work for any dive related business - I'm just a poor, lowly engineer - that likes to make sure decisions are made rationally.

Dive Safely

TN,
Thanks for the supportive comments. Mares did not destroy part molds. You are correct Dacor most likely would have dissolved on their own, and all consumers of Dacor products would have been stuck with obsolete products and 0 support.

Mares is and has been creating a positive and equitable solution for the dive store and consumers of old Dacor products. 100's of consumers have taken advantage of the upgrade program.

Mares is and has been participating on this board as a direct extension of efforts to create the best customer service. I can't say that about some of the other manufacturers.

We do and will continue to support many of our older and obsolete regulators. This is proven.

The Abyss MR22 regulator is a phenomenal product. Scuba Diving magazines tester choice reg for under $500. The Abyss has set many records eg. Deep, most divers on a single 1st stage, etc...

Some people clearly have their own opinions and don't always reflect the facts. Please do some good research and in the end I'm sure you'll come up with a great choice for your next purchase.

Sincerely,

Mike126:
One concern I do have is that Mares destroyed the spare part molds for the Dacors for a reason. It appears to be a marketing decision to eliminate a product line. Which I'm not sure I like.
Mike

Who told you that?

Ok, I bit! I took advantage of the Mares/Dacor and traded an old Pacer XL (old reg. found in my Save a Dive Kit...used for parts) for the Abyss. The $299.00 price was good, just a little surprised over the $30.00 handling fee. Is this common, or did i get taken for $30.00?

I found all the posting very helpful in deciding which regulator to buy, the Mares will make a good spare/backup regulator. Keep up all the good work on the postings!!!

Debraw - The LBS and others on this board. I had my LBS, who is a Mares dealer bench check my guages and the tech mentioned that he would not be able to get parts for the 1986 960. Other LBS's in the area said the same.

Mike

shpwrck,
The store you purchased the upgrade from would have been charged freight from our warehouse (Baltimore MD) to the store. As for the handling? Sounds a little steep; but shipping costs have been rising dramatically due to the price of fuel. Good choice on going with the abyss. I don't know what you are using as your primary, but you may find you'll like your back up better:)

Sincerely,

I've been using a Scuba Pro G500 with a MK20. Going on 9 years old, thought it best to move it as my pony regulator. My Scuba Pro has worked great over the years, I just hope I have as good of luck with the Abyss.

I have the Mares Abyss. I have an older model that I bought in 2003 but regardless I love it. It breathes beautifully in warm water as in cold water. If I should ever have to replace it, I would get another abyss or abother mares product. I have been thrilled with every Mares product that I own, and I find that if there is a concern Mares is quick to fix the problem.

I don't think you can go wrong with there great trade in program.

Can I trade my abyss in for the new one? Extreme cold or something like that, it looks great. LOL

Zak,

I'm very impresses that Mares would take the time to "listen" to what divers have to say on ScubaBoard. I'm even more impressed that you take the time to reply as well!

Mares is stepping up and offering you a trade-in value on an old regulator and giving you a great deal on a new one. The MR12 is a great performing regulator to fill your needs. We have them at $199, or you can trade in your regulator for an additional $50 credit, making you a great deal.

Good luck and safe diving!

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Back
Top Bottom