D9 service.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pavao

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you please give me some clarification on what is needed on a D9 as far as service, I believe 2 years is the recommended interval (?)

Additionally, are there any service recommendation on the Gekko?

Thanks
Pavao.

Pavao,

There are two types of service for the D9.

Battery Service - Replacing the battery compartment o-ring and battery. After the service, two standard tests will be done.

2 Year 200 Dive service ( Full Service) - The D9 will be disassembled down to the case. An internal and external cleaning will be done to all of the metal parts. All of the o-rings inside of the unit, as well as the battery will be replaced. After the service, two standard tests will be done.

The two standard test that are performed after each service are as follows:

The first test is a pressure test which will test the integrity of the computer. The second test is the function test. The computer will be dove in a pressure pot to check that all of the functions are working properly.

The 2 Year 200 Dive Service is highly recommended by Suunto to be performed every 2 years or 200 dives, whichever comes first. Whether the computer is sitting in a drawer or being used every day, this service is recommended to be done following those guidelines.

As far as the Gekko, the only service that can be done is a battery service. The Gekko is a sealed unit, so internal o-rings are not able to be replaced.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

just be ready to get a message saying your pressure sensor has failed its test and that they dont make them anymore like my 2 D9's

Thanks Chris,

What I'm really trying to understand is how a unit which costs significantly less (Gekko) is designed in a way that requires no service, while the other (D9), which cost 4-5 times more needs O-rings changed, I'm assuming at the 4 buttons?

Is there an advantage to have O-rings on the buttons of the D9 as opposed to no O-rings like on the Gekko?

I'm not trying to bash on the product, but the message I get is that the Gekko is built to be a "bullet proof" unit while the vastly more expensive D9 has (at least 4) more failure points and potential weaknesses, for the money we pay, we should feel the other way around.

Thanks
Pavao

Pavao,

The Gekko does have o-rings on the buttons and inside the unit, but they are never changed due to the fact that they are sealed units. Besides the four button o-rings, there are an additional six o-rings inside the of the D9. The o-rings inside of the unit are not considered "failure points" if they are properly maintained and serviced.

The D9's are a higher tier computer with many more functions, therefore needing extra service in order to protect the integrity of the unit. Think of a BMW or Mercedes. The price tag is much higher than the average vehicle, but with a higher price tag comes more bells & whistles. The service for those vehicles also cost much more than the average vehicle.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with how the current structure is, but if there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Best Regards,
Chris

but dont BMW and Mercedes have a better goodwill service?? i know Landrover do!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom