D630 2.0 woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_one_who_waits

Registered
Reaction score
I started with a pair of D710Vs which I use for my camera/video rig. And then picked up a few handhelds soon after. The value and quality of all these lights gave me complete confidence to take the plunge and purchase a D620 2.0. My high expectations were met upon receiving it and was very eager to promote it to my primary primary. Its performance is great, as is its runtime. The secondary use of the battery as a backup charger is a clever and handy feature when traveling.

Just after several dives in, I notice the stitching on the Velcro flaps which are used to secure the canister to the belt has begun to come apart. It is now apparent that this is a weak seam and is not durable even for short-term intermittent use. I believe this is exacerbated by the fact that it is completely wet when removed, thus renders the fabric and stitching more elastic and more likely to yield to the tension when separating the flaps. And upon closer inspection, it seems the Velcro flaps are affixed to the canister via two hose clamps with a heat-shrink tubing around it (I'm guessing to protect from the hard edges of the protruding hex head). Which renders this somewhat of a task to remove and replace, if a solution necessitates it.

PXL_20240429_032250787.jpg

More concerning as of late is the cord, which I've come to find is excessively long. While I did always feel there was a bit much slack since it would occasionally catch on random things when I'd swim too low, I didn't realize the magnitude until I saw it in some footage my buddy shot of me. The cord is 1.5M/59in long. Some quick research reveals the average cord length for canister lights is 1M/42in. Is there any specific justification for it being ~50% longer? This product is being promoted as "...a perfect canister dive light for cave diving, wreck diving or similar technical diving activities" but I feel this renders it anything but. I first had planned to take this light along as I venture into cave/technical diving where there are hazards and risks galore, but now I'm concerned that this excessive cord itself is a hazard.

20240530-123727.png
20240530-123612.png
20240530-123443.png

I still proudly endorse Orcatorch as being a solid brand that delivers on both quality and value, which is hard to come by in any industry. However, it is disappointing that the one product which serves the incredibly crucial role in visibility and communication has these flaws.

My 620 did not come with any attachment other than a machined slot in the canister so I can't comment on the Velcro strap as an attachment other than to say it should be easy to replace if it is attached with 2 worm-drive clamps.

I use a positive-locking Blade-Tech Tek-Lok snap-over" holster attachment: Tek-Lok Belt Attachment

IMG_20220714_151657260_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220714_151843329_HDR.jpg

There was a little "dremmel" work (OK milling machine, but a dremmel or even knife and file would do it) to open the holes up to pass the clamp band and I glued the adjustable stop bar at the 2" belt position, but pretty easy.

I use the same style clip on my every-dive/backup-light holster.

ETA: the longer cable could be advantageous if you rear-mount the canister.

I'm a little biased because I sell them I guess, but I'd still give an honest opinion of it (and wouldn't sell it if I thought it was crap). I'll have to check mine for any issues where that stitching is.

As for the cord it's hard to tell but you do have it all the way back on the right hip correct? Mine goes up the right side and then goes across my chest. Actually if there's any excess I kind of zig zag it over my arm and back. Nothing hangs down, an there isn't much excess at all. Is the top straight (vs 90° for SM)?

I'm a little biased because I sell them I guess, but I'd still give an honest opinion of it (and wouldn't sell it if I thought it was crap). I'll have to check mine for any issues where that stitching is.

As for the cord it's hard to tell but you do have it all the way back on the right hip correct? Mine goes up the right side and then goes across my chest. Actually if there's any excess I kind of zig zag it over my arm and back. Nothing hangs down, an there isn't much excess at all. Is the top straight (vs 90° for SM)?

Yes i have the canister all the way back, basically touching my backplate and secured in place with an extra belt buckle. The top is straight at 90°. And for reference I am 5'11

Yes i have the canister all the way back, basically touching my backplate and secured in place with an extra belt buckle. The top is straight at 90°. And for reference I am 5'11

So the top is positioned straight up OR at 90°?

I don't know how easy it would be to shorten the line, but I know it's easy with other lights. I've never tried with a D630.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom