D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s funny they put so much into exhaust, I have never even noticed exhalation effort on a single hose reg, what I do notice is short exhaust not running bubbles out and clear.

Like I said earlier unless looking almost straight down bubble dispersion I found to be average at best. I think they could have made it a tad wider, it's definitely a con in my opinion.

It’s funny they put so much into exhaust, I have never even noticed exhalation effort on a single hose reg, what I do notice is short exhaust not running bubbles out and clear.
Until the past year or two, exhalation effort was not a thing I paid attention to. Then I started playing around with second stages such as the SP AIR1, Hollis 500SE, etc. Comparing with a G260 or 156 during the dive, the decrease in exhalation effort is noticeable IMO.

Not to say it really matters, or is something that I am aware of when jumping in with a 156, but it is fun to play around with and provides another reason to add to the collection. Low exhalation effort plus bubbles behind the head are part of the reason I picked up a Kraken.

I've no doubt after a few dives I'll get used to it, I did with my old Micra, but as a direct comparison to a G250 it's noticeably worse.
I like the Atomic long tee but not really a big issue. I may have the chance to see how the 420 does by next weekend.

Yeah, exhaust bubbles could be the next area for SP to improve. But this exhalation effort during deep diving is not insignificant from an air density standpoint. Reducing your total work of breathing when unexpectedly placed under stress is worth considering.
At shallow depths and easy dives, maybe not so much. But any time the mfr's work to add these subtle improvements, I'm pleased! Given Scubapro's reputation for unresponsiveness compared with a company like, say, Deep6, this is a nice development.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom