D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to look for that online when I get home from work. Enquiring minds appatently wish to know more. :cheers:

I think what would be interesting is if the D420 second stage could be supported by two independent first stages . The original Pilot second stage the intermediate low pressure hose could be installed on either the right or left side of the regulator like the d420 . What this allowed the Pilot to use was two totally independent first stages and the navy experimental dive unit stated that if that were the case the performance was phenomenal . The navy awarded Scubapro a plaque that hangs in their office in El Cajon California that states the Pilot is the best deep diving reg ever made . Just my two cents .

ONLY if you have a stiff drink :coffee: and a fast-forward button, I've posted this YouTube video
with my new Christmas present.

WARNING: It's 23 minutes long :eek:, so unless you're a geek, don't go there.

I'll work on one where we disassemble it together to look at the poppet. But later...
Merry Christmas!
:xmastree::newyear:

While 1" doesn't blow my mind, I'm hoping the natural breathing characteristics of the original D series prevail.
I'll bet it can go lower. I'm working on a second video. And the improved exhalation WOB is a big deal.
Maybe, just maybe, the poppet is a retrofit to the old D-400, resolving another lingering issue.

ONLY if you have a stiff drink :coffee: and a fast-forward button, I've posted this YouTube video
with my new Christmas present.

WARNING: It's 23 minutes long :eek:, so unless you're a geek, don't go there.

I'll work on one where we disassemble it together to look at the poppet. But later...
Merry Christmas!
:xmastree::newyear:

watched the whole video. So basically pop the cover off. Twist the Allen key and bing bam boom amazing breather. Got it. Thanks. Lol. Seriously. Thanks for sharing your info. Genuinely appreciated.

...and bing bam boom amazing breather...
I was already way over YouTube's 15-minute limit for unregistered uploads, so I went ahead and registered, so I could get away with 23'. Even then, I ran out of time to tear it down. I was having just too much fun!
It's going to be a lot of fun taking this baby apart on camera in Part II. As mentioned above in this thread, the knife edge is a replacement item every service, so if you're careful, you can accumulate a bunch of replacement orifices that will extend this reg's lifetime for decades.

I believe that my original conclusion that "0.7" is too light" was wrong. I have yet to test it again (and we'll do that properly next video, where we're not rushed for time), but my measurements suggest that we may actually be able to get 0.75" even in the worst diving position for this case shape (looking straight down).
If you combine 0.75" cracking effort with what appears to be a 15% larger exhalation valve area, and a better valve position for exhaling than the coaxial design, I think WOB numbers may be incredible.
I think that's a fair trade for what was superb inhalation but below-average exhalation in the original D-series.
Now add in a much better design for service techs, and replaceable knife edges every two years and I think you're going to be hard pressed to beat this reg, even with an A700 or S620Ti. We'll see, when I play with it some more for the next video, and when the actual ANSTI numbers are published.
I'll be taking it to Bonaire in April for some heavy testing.

I was already way over YouTube's 15-minute limit for unregistered uploads, so I went ahead and registered, so I could get away with 23'. Even then, I ran out of time to tear it down. I was having just too much fun!
It's going to be a lot of fun taking this baby apart on camera in Part II. As mentioned above in this thread, the knife edge is a replacement item every service, so if you're careful, you can accumulate a bunch of replacement orifices that will extend this reg's lifetime for decades.

I believe that my original conclusion that "0.7" is too light" was wrong. I have yet to test it again (and we'll do that properly next video, where we're not rushed for time), but my measurements suggest that we may actually be able to get 0.75" even in the worst diving position for this case shape (looking straight down).
If you combine 0.75" cracking effort with what appears to be a 15% larger exhalation valve area, and a better valve position for exhaling than the coaxial design, I think WOB numbers may be incredible.
I think that's a fair trade for what was superb inhalation but below-average exhalation in the original D-series.
Now add in a much better design for service techs, and replaceable knife edges every two years and I think you're going to be hard pressed to beat this reg, even with an A700 or S620Ti. We'll see, when I play with it some more for the next video, and when the actual ANSTI numbers are published.
I'll be taking it to Bonaire in April for some heavy testing.

Colour me excited, I think it just moved again.

Back
Top Bottom