D200 to Lembeh/Gangga Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdietz

Contributor
Reaction score
Kimberly and I returned from a great adventure to KBR at Lembeh Straits and I had a 4 day add-on to Gangga Island for WA diving. We had the "all too common" camera related problems, including one of the new D200's with a broken autofocus, 2 dead DS200's, minor flood in rinse tank, etc., etc......but with backups and a borrowed 5050, we never missed a dive without a camera.

I was expecting more WOW shots from this trip, but for whatever reason, they never really happened. We seemed more engrossed with the subject matter and not the "art". The water quality could have contributed to our shots not being as sharp as I want, but we are pleased with what we accomplished.

Please check out our Lembeh gallery at www.kdietz.com

lembeh2006_001.jpg

lembeh2006_002.jpg

One of Kimberly's....

lembeh2006_006.jpg

Karl

kdietz:
I was expecting more WOW shots from this trip, but for whatever reason, they never really happened.
Oh, I don't know... those are pretty WOWie to me :)
Thanks,
Rick

I agree with uncle rick WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWie

I think you are becoming super critical of your own work. The pictures are fab.
I love the snail train, snake eel.

Well, I absolutely love Kimberly's shot. As for not being "Wow" I should have those kind of "not wow" shots.

I especially like the "card shark"!

I'd say those are nicely done as well!! It looks like (from what I checked) that you used the 60mm lens quite a bit. Is that the one that quit focusing for you?

I've just got my D200 and loving it. No housing yet, maybe in a couple of months. Anyway I'm looking at the 105mm and the 60mm for a macro lens. Which do like and use the most?

Kevin, the AF on the camera broke....not the 60mm!

We use both lenses a lot, but for Lembeh and dirty water, the 60mm works best IMHO....it forces you to get closer than the 105 and you don't have to shot through as much dirty water :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments regarding our photos...

Karl

Great shots. What was tha nature of your "minor flood"? I recently had a rinse tank "minor Flood" on my trip to Palau. I have also read of others with the D70 and D200 ike housings also having floods.

The Ikelite port connection design allows for a slight bit of movement and o-ring compression while topside...while it's watertight...as soon as it's submerged, the water pressure makes it completely secure and tight.

It's a rare set of circumstances, but it is possible with careless handling to cause the port to move and leak in the rinse tank or before you get underwater a foot or two

This my 6th Ikelite housing and my first "rinse tank" flood, so it's not a common thing at all....the rinse tank can be a dangerous place for any housing

Karl

Back
Top Bottom