D1 Hybrid or Fusion Bullet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Lecter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wanted to get opinions on pros and cons of these dry suits as I get closer to pulling the trigger on one (finding anywhere to actually try these out on Oahu seems to be a no-go). I'm looking at the base version of the D1 Hybrid versus a Fusion Bullet with the SI tech silicone seals. Use for the next few years will mostly involve wreck penetration in Hawaii and other south Pacific locations, but may eventually return to NY/NJ's waters. I'm mostly diving double 130s with a slung stage, am not particularly buoyant myself, and will be using a very minimal undergarment out here (if any)... so some inherent buoyancy in the suit would be nice.

Fusion is the clear winner price-wise, but I'm a little hesitant due to what I've read about the Bullet skin being inflexible. In a Pinnacle Black Ice or a snug 7mm wetsuit, I currently have no problems reaching my valves or isolator and don't want that to change. However, given the potential for abuse inside wrecks and the hatred I've seen for the Tech skin's pockets, I'm not convinced there's a better Whites skin option for what I want to do.

I haven't seen as much commentary about the D1 Hybrid, which claims to have a constant volume system. Can anyone comment on whether this is similar to the Fusion approach to bubble management (i.e., compression fitting skin) or just a gimmicky way of saying it has a plush synthetic insulating lining?

Any other major differences I should be considering?

Thanks much.

I've got a D1 Hybrid, but as I received it later in the winter season in QLD/Nth NSW, I removed the inner lining and used it as a simple shell suit.

I did however use it with the lining once in the pool, with a shirt and boardshorts, so the lining does provide very good insulation, however, the bubble management was increasingly more difficult than without in my experience.

Get the Fusion with the tech skin. Diving in warm water, you won't mind the pockets. It's getting in and out of them with cold, numb, dry-gloved hands that's a PITA.

Fusion bullet here, it's the latest in many suits I've had over the years, it's worlds apart all the rest. Great buoyancy characteristics, warmth and unbeatable flexibility. Deep tech dives are warm throughout deco and very easy to manage the air movement. I was looking at both the DUI flx and the bullet. Even with key man pricing I went with the whites. DRIS can offer an excellent price on the bullet and super service.

TS&M, what were the specifics of your problem with the Bullet skin? Is it that it's less flexible than ideal for a drysuit, or, that it's less flexible than you get from a Sport or a Tech skin?

Thanks all!

TS&M, what were the specifics of your problem with the Bullet skin? Is it that it's less flexible than ideal for a drysuit, or, that it's less flexible than you get from a Sport or a Tech skin?

Thanks all!

Lynne has mentioned before that the bullet skin, due to its tougher/thicker material isn't as light/flexible as the sport or tech skin. It's still far and away more flexible than any other suit. If you don't require a "bulletproof" suit, the tech skin is super light and flexible while still able to stand up to a lot of abuse. I like the bullet for Wreck and ice diving but ill use a tech skin for travel and less demanding dives.

The Bullet skin does stretch -- but if you are used to the delightful flexibility of the Sport and Tech skins, it's disappointing. I also didn't like the necessity to unfasten the Velcro to rinse between the bag and skin.

I've found the other skins to be awful darned hard to hurt, so "bulletproofing" wasn't high on my list. I actually bought my Bullet skin because it was a delicious shade of red, and it made me very sad to discover I didn't like it.

James Flenner (fdog) who is also a rabid Fusion fan, had the same reaction to the Bullet skin. If I recall, he posted one of his excellent photo essays about it.

I have a Fusion Tech, which I like for the flexibility.
I hated the pockets, so I removed them and sewed Halcyon pockets on. It's my first dry suit, so I can't offer any opinion of value on your suit comparison. I just wanted to mention that you don't have to stick with those tech pockets.

How cold is the water? The D1 is for cold water diving in my opinion. The bulk, weight, size of the internal liner will make possibly make you wish you had something lighter considering the temperate waters you will be diving.... where you can get by with a much thinner undergarment. My recommendation with what I currently know, go with a Fusion.

Back
Top Bottom