CZM eateries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hay yews guise -

I am gearing up for a CZM trip in a couple of weeks. I have been there many times, but it's been about a year since the last time, so I'm wondering if there are any new places to eat there. My list of faves: Capi Navigante, Prima, La Choza, Sonora, El Moro, Los Moros del Morritos, Pancho's Backyard, La Mission, Casa Denis, Azul Cobalto. I have been to La Veranda, Morgan's, and La Cocay, and found them to be OK but a bit overpriced. I mourn the passing of Santiago's; I heard that it shut down a few months ago.

If a restaurant has been there 5 years or more, I probably know of it; what I am interested in exploring is if there are any recent additions to the list that I might want to check out. I live primarily on seafood there; don't send me where the specialties are burgers or fried chicken or pizza.

Counting the days...

Well you can strike Azul Cobalto off your list too--it was one of my faves but apparently shut down last year. *sniff sniff* The rest of them, to the best of my knowledge, are still open. I'm going in June and have been researching the new places and one that keeps getting rave reviews is Especias,
past the square and a few blocks east (Calle #5/Ave #10 area). If you find any others during your visit that you like, post a report when you get back! :)

Especias, Ambar, Mexico in los Siglos, Manati, Punta Morena & Arrecife's, for starters.

Bon appetite.

DocVikingo

Here's a couple of oldies that you didn't list but we love:

Santa Carlos PESCADERIA is a great little fish place back in the neighborhoods. They sell a lot of to go orders of both cooked and fresh fish but in back are a couple tables where you can dine in. The conch ceviche is usually very fresh and a single serving at $40 pesos is an ample appetizer for a table of 6. A plate lunch with a fillet entrée is $45-$50 pesos. A whole fried fish for one starts at around $60 pesos but can go higher depending on the weight. The easiest way to get to Santa Carlos is to drive east out Calle 11 past 30 and take a left onto Ave. 50B. That will be the second Ave. 50 you come to. Santa Carlos is on the right between A.R. Salas and Calle 3. We've never had dinner here. I'm not even sure it is open at night.

Our current favorite tacqueria is El Serra located on Ave 30 not too far (and across the street) from Ace Hardware. The Tacos al Pastor con piña (grilled marinated pork with a slice of pineapple) at about 40 cents each and frijoles charos (bean soup) are both excellent. Four to six tacos and a bowl of soup make a good meal for $3-$4. Like most taacquerias, this place is only open at night.

I've got a bunch more places listed at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html

mediakzar,

Excellent link! As one about to go to Coz for the first time next month, I sure appreciate it! Thanks!! :)

mediakzar

"I've got a bunch more places listed at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/coz...estaurants.html"

Thanks for the link! Good choices. A number of spots I have not visited and will do so on 10 day trip in mid May.

Thanks again for the helpful post.

all4diving

:sharky:

5615mike once bubbled...
mediakzar

"I've got a bunch more places listed at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html"

Thanks for the link! Good choices. A number of spots I have not visited and will do so on 10 day trip in mid May.

Thanks again for the helpful post.

all4diving

:sharky:

No problem. Glad to help. We've been going to Cozumel regularly for over 15-years now and mostly all we do when we're there is dive, eat, have an occasional cocktail and sleep. I've got a buddy who lives there full time who takes us to some of the off-the-beaten-path type places, which often times not only have great food but offer good bargains too. And we get to enjoy some of the local color as well.

By the way, if you follow the links on the restaurants page, I've got a lot of info on diving collected from over 700 dives in Cozumel.

All the others have done fine jobs of providing great places to eat...goodness knows, we have no shortage here in Cozumel of places to eat!! I've been here 9 years and have yet to cook a meal!! ;-)

Since you specifically mentioned seafood I am going to mention one other place that has [i don't think] not been noted in the other posts. This is the place to go if you want to eat seafood like the "locals" do...not the fancy tourist presentations with the higher prices! LA CONCHITA DEL CARIBE located on 65 Ave between 21 & 23 Sur.

You must start with ceviche mixtos...the freshest you'll ever taste!
If you order fried fish, you'll get to go over and pick your fish!
They also have excellent shrimp, lobster, etc prepared as you like!

We are updating the restaurant section of my website now, with more pics and little bios about some of the family owned restaurants here in Cozumel...this one CONCHITA will be featured as well!!
Have fun and good eating!!! yummmmm!!!

This was my favorite place last time we were there. It's a big change from the mexican seafood theme, but it's great food nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom