Cozumel Restaurant Time Machine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading MSTEVEN’s Magnum Opus Restaurant Guide and it got me to reminiscing about the Cozumel restaurant scene of old. So, I decided to write down my favorite restaurants and my favorite meals in them, from back in the day. (My wife hates that phrase, but the older I get, the more I use it.) I’m sure there are some old-timers out there who can add to my list.

Morgan’s (Now the building is a 7-11 on the corner of Juarez)
Crepas de Cajeta con Helado de Vanilla (made at your table)
Crepes Suzette (made at your table)
Potaje
Ribeye with green peppercorns

Choza Hamburgers (the dirt-floored palapa prior to La Choza that Doug Wilshire, Jimmy Kitchen’s dad ran. Doug was like the Soup-Nazi of hamburgers, but they were very good.)

Carlos & Charlies & Jimmy Kitchen (with Jimmy, Roberto, Hutch, and Faustino)
Tacos Acerrin (tacos made with fried potato skins and fried chicken skin)
BBQ ribs (fall-off-the-bone)

La Langosta at Punta Langosta (the palapa on the water’s edge, back when Dr. Luis Erives was the Punta Langosta Lighthouse keeper)
Lobster with garlic butter

Trini’s Kitchen (Trinidad was Julio Blanco’s ex-wife. Julio had a dive shop on the malecon close to the corner of Juarez, when Juarez was open to cars all the way to the malecon. I used to mule in waterproof false eyelashes Julio’s dive master, Dorotea.) Anything Trini made was good and she always kept filling up your plate to make sure you had enough

Las Palmeras (Pilar, Troy Becerra's mom, always had a smile for you, as did Mimi Becerra, Pepe's wife)
Salpicón de Jabalí
Estofado de Venado
Avocado Relleno con Anguillas
Guisado de Tortuga
Pay de Queso (the savoy kind, not the sweet kind)

Chichen Itzá (on the square, next to Rubens’ Rentals)
Frijol con Puerco (Mondays only)

El Foco (the old location, after midnight to soak up alcohol)
Queso Fundido con Chorizo

O Sole Mio (with the corny Cesar mural)
Lasagna

Tortas Moros (on the corner of Av. 10 and Juarez. Pure bliss!)
Pork Tortas (from the greasy plancha with the buns French-dipped in pork broth)

Las Tortugas (the old location on Av. 10. Thirty-seven years later, the same chef still works for them at the new location on Av. 30)
Caldo Xochitl

Grip’s Disco and Restaurant
Sabayon (After Kurt went to jail for murder, it was Hector who made it at your table)
Seafood Spaghetti with Béchamel (with lots of lobster chunks)

San Francisco Beach (back when Fito Gracia owned it. Fito also ran the Robinson Crusoe boat tours.)
Steamed Giant Crab
Ceviche Mixto (Pulpo, Camaron, Pescado y Caracol)

El Tapatío
Frijoles Charros (nothing like it on the island today)

Mini Lenny’s
Chop Suey (on Tuesdays)

Celarain Light House
Primo’s fried fish, ceviche, and beer (on Sundays)

Las Gaviotas at Cabañas Del Caribe
Potaje (on the restaurant porch while watching the sabalo come feed at night under the lights)
Black Bean Soup (Frijol Negro Colado)

Capi Naviganti
Huachinango ala Veracruzana

Casa Denis
Mamey Ice Cream made with mamey from the big tree in the patio

Soberani’s
Gambas a la gabardine

Sol Caribe (today’s Park Royal)
Black Forest Cake (Klaus Westphalen’s grandmothers’s recipe)

Pepe’s Grill (back when Pepe ran it as his flag-ship)
Prime Rib and Salad Bar

Big Rocky’s (the upstairs bar at the same location but prior to the old Carlos & Charlies)
Black Russians (on the balcony, while listening to Rubber Soul on the stereo or any one of
Big Rocky’s four other LP albums)

El Portal/Café del Puerto (I once paddled the canoe that was in front of the restaurant over the reef at Tulum)
Seafood Soup (with siwa, conch, fish, shrimp, and lobster. I still dream about this soup.)
Grilled Venison

Johnny & Billy’s
Flaming Shish Kabob (one time the pork caught fire and the waiter had to put it out with a towel)

La Cueva del Pirata (on the shore by Chankanaab)
Fried Fish

Pizza Rolandi’s (now Guido’s)
Shandies

Such is Life (in any of its various locations over the years)
Salad Niçoise

Pepe’s Plaza/Pepe’s Place (on Av. 5, by the plaza, now a gift store)
Huevos Rancheros

La Mission (When Beto's only location was on Juarez between Av. 10 and Av. 15)
Tacos de Chuleta

Acuario
Grilled Swordfish (which Moncho Villanueva always caught. It was his restaurant.)

Texan Bar (where I taught my wife to dance to the newest rage on Cozumel at the time, the Cotton-Eyed Joe)
Bartender’s Special Snack Mix

Discoteca Hipopótamo (“the” place before Grip’s, Scaramouche, or Neptuno opened, back when Scaramouche’s location was still the gas station on the malecon)

Other restaurants that didn’t make my cut. Some were OK, but just not outstanding. Some were bad. Some were fun for their location, but not especially for the food:

Mezcalitos
Naked Turtle
Punta Morena
Karen’s Pizza
Sports Page
Studebakers
Mr. Papas
Green Submarine
Bagdad Grill
El Sarape
Tio Ricardo
Angelo’s
Gambrino’s
Eden
Royal
Amadeus (or any other of the many, many restaurants that tried unsuccessfully to make a go of it in the building on the beach front of Villa Blanca Hotel)
Gato Pardo
Plaza Leza
Yucatequita
Kukulkan

One more thought. Back in the day (there it is again!) tables in Cozumel restaurants always had some things on them that the restaurants today no longer put out. No restaurant table back then would be complete without:
A serving dish of Xnepec
A jar of Nescafe
A bottle of an artificial green-colored Garay brand ersatz olive oil
Plastic-wrapped packages of soda crackers to eat ceviche, Campechana, or shrimp cocktail with

I agree that the Sports Page wasn’t exactly a restaurant, but back in the days when I spent the last week of March every year in Cozumel, I used to hit the Sports Page regularly to catch March Madness games and watch my beloved Fighting Illini and Michigan State Spartans. And the Sports Page did serve up a pretty good fried grouper sandwich with fries and beer. Pretty decent bar food.

I guess when I rated these places, I didn't only take into consideration the quality of food. When Forrest and his dad and uncle built the Sports Page, I used to advertise it in my Free Blue Guide. Later Forrest and I had a falling out when his dad wanted me to advertise a "cure for cancer" he wanted to hawk on the island (out of the reach of the FDA). Sports Page didn't make my list of favorites.

La Veranda- anything on menu was superb when sitting in their beautifully lit garden out back!
Acurio- table side prep of caesar salad! especially if sitting out on their water view deck or inside near a fish tank
Prima- up winding stairs rooftop location - miss their fritters appetizer and so many excellent dishes!
Especias- zucchini boat appetizer. also bacon wrapped shrimp sitting outside on 2nd floor overlooking street

There is another restaurant I'm remembering but can't think of name.... it was on back corner perpendicular away from water. white building. you ate in the front portion closest to street. seems it maybe started with an S? think back to 90's.....?

update: thanks to Paradise Hunter... the name was Sonora Grill that I couldn't remember.

The Acuario was one of several that had table-side Cesar Salad prep. It was a "thing" back then that defined "Continental" dining, along with over-sized pepper mills and waiters with ties.

I guess these others are too new for me to consider as being from "back in the day". I am referring to "back in MY day"! Let's put a cut off date of say, 1989 for adding to my list.

The Veranda was built by the brother-in-law of today's manager (Fernando) of Playa Azul.

Like many places in Coz, many places just change names. One of my old favorites mentioned above was La Veranda …mainly for the back yard dining. It is still in the same place but now called "The Pub" with decent food in an English Pub atmosphere.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Great thread! Unfortunately, many of those listed are before my time.

One that I would put on that list is Sonora Grill. Great elevated location on the corner that was a blast to watch everyone go by. Really liked the combo platters and Sonora Shrimp.

PH

Paradise Hunter, that's the name of the restaurant I couldn't remember....... Sonora Grill! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom