Cypress Springs on Sunday May 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to get a group together to dive Cypress Springs on 5/7/6. The trip will require a boat, mine looks to already be filled. If anyone is interested, we can meet at Vortex in order to rent canoes and head to the boat launch(bought 30min away). Canoes are $10 for 2 hours(I think) or $50 for half a day - you can split costs with a buddy or two! In the past we've fit 3 to a canoe.

Cypress is a 1st magnitude spring that issues 96 million gallons a day and stays incredibly clear year round. Depths to ~30' in OW and ~60' in the cavern. Lots of freshwater life to watch.

Boat access only which means we'll probably be the only divers onsite, wouldn't be suprised to have surface dwellers soaking up the sun ontop though!

Virtually untouched since it was closed to the public. It is my fav. The vis is amazing. I may try to get off work so hubby and I can go.

mike_s:
wow! I mean wow... I had no clue it was that much. that's 4 times as much as Vortex.

Vortex is puny in comparison in so many ways :)

The boat launch at the end of Culpepper Lane, which is left off of SR277. If you need directions, I can post them.

This boat launch puts you about a mile downstream. I figure its best to paddle/motor upstream before you tire yourself out doing the actual diving, than afterwards. That being said, there is a boatlaunch about a mile upstream of Cypress if you want to float down before diving, and paddle up afterwards.

I've dove Cypress often. I once tried putting in at Vernon, not sure how far that was, thinking 4 - 6 beers?

I know of a ramp off 277, in kind of a trailer area, normally only takes 10 - 15 minutes depending on who is helping paddle, 1 - 2 beers for those wihtout watches or able to gauge mileage.

I am not sure of the roads, I have long since forgotten the names.

There are some canoe rental places on Marianna and along chipola that rent canoes for about $10 - $15 day or half day.

Culpepper Ln launch is your trailer park launch.

The launch in Vernon at SR79 is like 5 miles off. Our first trip to Cypress was from this launch and it took us all day due to not knowing the way or being avid paddlers...nearly killed us.

The paddler makes the difference. When my wife paddles we zig zag and do twice the distance

Thats exactly what we did on our first trip with the canoes. We had two speeds, full speed, and reverse. We scooted along faster than everyone else but didn't make any progress because we were in the trees the whole time... SeaYoda has pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom