Cypress Springs 7-22-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was lazy last night and didn't load my truck up for todays dives, paid for it today. Not-so-bright, but definately early, I was awake at 5AM to start packing my boat(Miss Jellyfish, dontchaknow) as well as my diving gear. Out the door 20 after 6 with a quick stop at the gas station for some juice and redbull before hopping on the interstate. I was about 15 minutes early for our 9AM meet time at the boatlaunch in Vernon, FL, where we planned to navigate up Holmes Creek to Cypress Springs. SeaYoda and ClayJar had already made it onsite and ClayJar was just finishing setting up his boat(Bayou Marshmellow).

Diving Cypress Springs requires a boatride up Holmes Creek and up the spring run to the spring itself. There was alot of us diving today and it turned out to be quite a fleet of boats heading to the spring. A fleet of doom, infact. I had my Miss Jellyfish(zodiac of doom)to bring me, bennedc, and Mr. bennedc(Chris), photohikedive had his tincan of doom for himself and MDB, ClayJar had the Bayou Marshmallow(kayak of doom), and SeaYoda borrowed The Plastic Death(canoe) from Gulf Gulper. We loaded up and made our way to the spring without incident. Probably shouldn't mention that the canoe and kayak beat PHD's boat to the spring, but who am I to leave out facts :wink:

FleetofDoom.jpg

If you squint closely, you can almost make out PHD way in the back.

The spring was as beautiful as always, but the run was very shallow and some of us had to walk our boats part of the run. When we arrived on site, there was only one other boat full of surface dwellers. I immediately broke a finstrap. Thanks to bennedc, she came to my rescue with a hairband thingy. Visibility was unlimited as usual and flow was running pretty good. The normal fauna could be found in the basin, including bream, bass, carp, sole, bowfin, minnows, snails, and turtles. The majority of us explored the cavern(if not all?) during the beginning of the dive and then ascended and we circumnavigated the basin several times. I hit a max depth of 62' and the dive lasted an hour.

cavern.jpg

phd.jpg

seayoda.jpg

drue.jpg

Clayjar.jpg

DiversofDoom3.jpg

PHD and MDB headed back after to the launch after the first dive(or snorkel respectively). Chris and I headed to the launch as well, to pick up fresh tanks. We were back in the water a bit of an hour after our first dive. We planned to cut the dive short so we could all get back and grab a bite to eat before heading our seperate ways. The 2nd dive went just as well as the 1st with basically the same profile. All of us had condensation issues with our cameras from the 90+F surface temps and the 68F degree water. I hit a max depth of 46' for a total dive time of 42 minutes before we headed back to the launch to pack up. We all enjoyed a great meal over at the local eatery in Vernon(Dee's).

I'm pretty sure everyone had a good time, its hard not to at Cypress! It was great meeting a few new ScubaBoarders. Looking forward to our next dives :D

Full set of pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album145

Totally awesome. Who has a deco bottle in Cypress??

ClayJar brought one(pictured), I'm suprised SeaYoda hadn't brought his :D

Tom Smedley:
Who has a deco bottle in Cypress??

Having never had the opportunity to dive cypress (boat to large) from these shots of the dive it looks as though it would be a and interesting dive to explore. There seems to be a lot of nooks and crannies to pilfer in. Nice report and very interesting. I’m with Tom on wondering about The Deco bottle along with a cave reel humm was it maybe to tie off the dive flag and weight it down? :D

Looks like all had a good time

I have a great number of pictures of Cypress when she was in operation and of the Vickers family. I should post them sometime. However, I can't figure how to place a picture within a post like you do. If you would kindly tell me that I would be most appreciative. I'll be glad when they get the picture gallery fixed.

tom wicker:
Having never had the opportunity to dive cypress (boat to large) from these shots of the dive it looks as though it would be a and interesting dive to explore. There seems to be a lot of nooks and crannies to pilfer in. Nice report and very interesting. I’m with Tom on wondering about The Deco bottle along with a cave reel humm was it maybe to tie off the dive flag and weight it down? :D

Looks like all had a good time

I'm pretty sure ClayJar was just using the pony for added redundancy and not for deco purposes.

Cypress is a small spring, but there is lots of limestone and several vents to poke your head into including a cavern area that eventually becomes cave. The entrance to the cave portion jetting out from the cavern looks pretty tight, but there is line running into it, so its divable if you're certified for that kinda thing.

We had a great time, if you'd ever like to get out there, lemme know. My boat definately isn't too big :D

Tom Smedley:
I have a great number of pictures of Cypress when she was in operation and of the Vickers family. I should post them sometime. However, I can't figure how to place a picture within a post like you do. If you would kindly tell me that I would be most appreciative. I'll be glad when they get the picture gallery fixed.

The pictures have to be uploaded somewhere online. Then you use img tags around the file url to hotlink the picture into your post. I have my pictures hosted on my website.

Example

{img}http://www.suprbugman.com/albums/album145/cavern.jpg{/img}

If you were to replace the squiggly brackets with square brackets, the file would have shown up in picture form instead of link form.

Nice shots and report SuP!! Cypress is edging up on my To Do list!

Tom Smedley:

Tom,

since you don't havea nice place like Bugman does, you can open a www.photobucket.com account and put the pics there. They'll even give you the text to cut-n-paste for the www.url.com[ / img]

that's what many of us are doing. it's free and easy.

MB:
Nice shots and report SuP!! Cypress is edging up on my To Do list!

Let me know when you're in the area, I can probably get you up the creek and to the spring.

I shouldn't mention it ..... but I will, I stopped to take pictures of the "houseboat" and still beat the tincan of doom. PHD kept yelling "RAMMING SPEED!" but was never a real threat :laughing:.

Here are some pics, others can be found here http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/seayoda/

722scn4.jpg

722sbm2.jpg

722rhs2.jpg

722pic.jpg

722phd.jpg

722mdb.jpg

722flounder.jpg

722bc1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom