Cypress Springs 2-13-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah those dang sheers! :) I def got to find a better way of securing them. I could always follow the good advice I got out there (which mirrors something I had said the day before when I found one guys hundred + dollar dive light at Vortex). If you dont want to lose it tie it, or snap it off. As for boats I think a kayak would be ideal. But I got to admit a small motor would be the best. I'd like to hear about those Florida wrecks to. Perhaps I will have to make a longer trip.

Erik

eanxgirl:
I guess the snails must have eaten my watch. I thought for sure one of you would find it! I really enjoy Cypress and I would say I'm sorry I missed the trip this weekend, but I dove the Bibb, Duane, Speigel Grove and Eagle this weekend so I can't complain (except about driving home all night, getting in at 7:30 this morning just in time to shower and come to work). Sounds like y'all had a great time and the weather, as usual, smiled on you. I'm trying to work my calendar around the March trip so I can join you again.

Hey if you wouldnt mind posting how your weekend went, we would love to hear about your trip down in the Key's. I was out 20 miles on the Melbourne 90' bar (reef) all day Sunday, fishing and diving, water was dirty all the way out Sebastion inlet to the East Side of the reef, about 100' water. Even there Vis was only 30' or so, how was the water temp's and vis down in the Key's ? Love to hear about it, also if there were current's running on the wreck's, thanks !

Glad you guys had fun. I was going to ask if the canoe got a free ride with the Miss Jellyfish in the lead but it sounds like that would have slowed you down.

Remember that the cost of the canoe split by two equals what it costs to dive Vortex. I love Cypress and even the canoe ride. It is well worth the cost to me. I'd still prefer my own boat - cheap and stable. Got my eyes out for deals on those wide bodied canoes, much cheaper than the kayaks that can handle the weight load of scuba gear.

If you find one of them canoes, let us know how much you pick it up for. They are just as easy to strap ontop the car as a kayak if you have two people doing the lifting.

Ooo a diveyak, thanks for the links Dawg. That would be nice, not a bad price considering I could use it to paddle around the bays and Gulf here even when I'm not using it to dive. I wonder how sturdy that would be in the gulf? SBM how far did you say you took your zodiac out?

EANXgirl, I must say I am a little green with envy for your trip. How many hours of driving was that? I hope you can come down in March, I'll try to get off work so we can get in 2 days of diving. Remember, I have 2 warm couches for those that need it.

darcy:
EANXgirl, I must say I am a little green with envy for your trip. How many hours of driving was that? I hope you can come down in March, I'll try to get off work so we can get in 2 days of diving. Remember, I have 2 warm couches for those that need it.

I left work at 4:00 on Thursday afternoon and drove to Atlanta to meet my buddy. We left Atlanta at about midnight and got down to Tavernier around Noon Friday. We were on the dive boat by 1:00 Friday afternoon! It was kind of the same coming back. We made two trips out on Saturday and then dove Sunday morning. After a grouper sandwich we left the Keys at about 2:00 Sunday afternoon. We got back into Atlanta around 2:00 Monday morning. I drove straight home from there and got in just in time to shower and get to work Monday morning. So, it was a lot of driving and not much sleeping. But, it was also a lot of fantastic diving and I wouldn't trade the weekend for anything. I will post a report as soon as I log my dives.

I am looking foward to diving with you again soon. March should be pretty good for me--hopefully we can do a little salt water this time. But I also want to do Cypress again soon. So much diving to be done--I don't have time for a full-time job!

darcy:
Ooo a diveyak, thanks for the links Dawg. That would be nice, not a bad price considering I could use it to paddle around the bays and Gulf here even when I'm not using it to dive. I wonder how sturdy that would be in the gulf? SBM how far did you say you took your zodiac out?

If you're looking into the Diveyaks, be sure to get one with atleast a PVC material'd tubes - not the rubber stuff you find commonly in beach/pool toys. Hypalon is better than PVC if you can find a Diveyak made of it. I was going to buy a brand new inflatable when I was looking for boats(this is before I found my present Zodiac locally for cheap) and was looking into the SeaEagle brand boats. They have several Diveyaks available - check out http://www.seaeagle.com ignore anything that says Polykyron or similar, look for 1000 denier PVC or better.

Check out the DiveBoat section of SB as well, they have a section for kayaks now and usually have a thread or three open about inflatable Diveyaks.

I've taken my 10' Zodiac out to the one mile marker out of Perdido Pass in 2-3' swells - made me nervous but never came across any problems. No SCUBA gear, but I had 3 people onboard(including myself) so we were fairly heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom