Cypress Springs 2-13-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After diving the Destin Jeddies Saturday, I was really looking forward to diving into some of that super-heated 68º spring water. :) Josh Lambeth and I headed out at 5:30 and met up with WaterDawg and SCUBADIVINERIK around 8AM at Vortex. They rented a canoe and we headed out to SR277's boat launch(~1mile downstream of the spring) - I had packed my Zodiac(Miss Jellyfish) for the trip. Weatherman called for 50% chance of showers during the day and 80% at night - we didn't see a drop during the day, infact, our sunlight and blue skies hardly got interupted. The river that Holmes Creek feeds into was right around a bankfull at 9' so I was curious as to how this would affect Cypress Springs clarity. My worries were unwarranted and the 96 million gallons that pump from Cypress daily kept the tannic at bay and we enjoyed cool clear water that allowed you too look from one bank of the basin to the other uninterupted - gin clear! The usuall suspects were in the basin, bream, bass, carp, tons of snails covering the rocks and alot of the various plantlife. There was a large slider turtle near the trees by the pier and freshwater eels, rock bass, and more carp inside the cavern. I still haven't seen any crawfish - I guess its still too cold for them? We did two very leisurely dives and had an all out good time - after dropping the canoe off we finished the trip up with some grub at Sally's(what else do you do in that town?).

Anyway, it was another fun trip - I can't wait until next time :)

Great trip report SBM, can't wait to see that site one day myself. How did miss jellyfish do heading to the site? What is the normal level of water at that site and do you think MJ would make it at a normal level? Just curious as to what the options are to getting upstream rather than renting a canoe for outragous prices each time.. :)

Matt

Had a great time and met some really great people. Josh and Erik are very nice guys. The dives there are very relaxed. It really would be nice to buy a kayak, maybe late in the year I will try to get one. If you split it in 3 it aint so bad but still.

Yes renting the canoes can get pricey, but it's such a good dive, it's hard to ingnore.

SBM I have never seen Miss Jellyfish! She looks great! What looks really hot about that girl is her little motor in the back...hey honey, what are you doing?

Sorry I missed you guys on this trip looking forward to the next one.

Hey guys...good to see you all made it home without issue. My drive wasnt to bad...just under 3 hours.

I had a great time as well. The water clarity here is totally unbelievable. The weather cooperated and the trip down river was pretty easy. I agree that having a boat would be nice. The canoe rental is about the only thing that is a neegative about this dive. The water is warm and there is def plenty coming out of the cavern. You can feel the pressure as you swim over it. Its pretty cool. Learned alot from everyone and had a rather relaxed Sunday. I def. recommend it

-Erik

Corigan:
Great trip report SBM, can't wait to see that site one day myself. How did miss jellyfish do heading to the site? What is the normal level of water at that site and do you think MJ would make it at a normal level?

I hadn't taken Miss Jellyfish out to this site previous to this trip because I was worried about submerged trees/limbs that could puncture the tubes or the inflatable keel(its a SIB, not a RIB with the fiberglass hulls). I didn't hit anything on this trip, but the river was at 9' and I took it very slow(she was overloaded anyway, I don't think I could have planed out if I wanted to).

I'm not entirely sure what the normal water levels are for the river, I've only been checking them since the end of last year(October or so) and I didn't record them in my logbook. This year I will keep the river levels logged so I know what to expect. When the water gets lower, I will use a canoe, for atleast the first few trips so I can get an idea on the best routes to take with the boat without snagging anything, if there is a best route.

darcy:
SBM I have never seen Miss Jellyfish! She looks great! What looks really hot about that girl is her little motor in the back...hey honey, what are you doing?

Its always nice when your girl has a nice motor in the back :wink: :crafty:

I like her :) I don't pull her out as often as I should though, it can be a pain to pack her, piece her together, run her, pack her, get home, unpack her, clean her, and finally repack her back up for storage in the shed. It'd be easier with a trailer, so I wouldn't have to deflate/dismantle her after every use.

I guess the snails must have eaten my watch. I thought for sure one of you would find it! I really enjoy Cypress and I would say I'm sorry I missed the trip this weekend, but I dove the Bibb, Duane, Speigel Grove and Eagle this weekend so I can't complain (except about driving home all night, getting in at 7:30 this morning just in time to shower and come to work). Sounds like y'all had a great time and the weather, as usual, smiled on you. I'm trying to work my calendar around the March trip so I can join you again.

Busy weekend Liza! All those wrecks are supposed to be nice, hopefully, I'll get out there one day.

Didn't see any watches, I did find a 2# weight and Erik's sheers. I think Chris found Erik's sheers once too - he needs to quit losing em! :)

Damn EANXGirl! Im glad you had a great weekend, wish I could have dove them too.

We actually brought up your watch, but figured you might have found it later in you vehicle or something.

Anyaways, Id like to hear more about you wreck diving this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom