Cypress Spring Report - 8/17/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few fellow employees and myself set off from the shop on Sunday with the itention of Kayaking the Chipola and then diving Cypress. Since we got off so late though, we just headed straight to Holmes Creek with 4 people, 2 cars, 3 kayaks, and a load of gear.

014_13A.JPG

After setting up, loading all the gear and getting onto the water, we had a good workout heading up river the mile or so it takes to get to Cypress Spring. Tannic water went nearly all the way up to the spring, but it was nice to see the water turn from brown to Crystal Clear.

ht
015_14A.JPG

As the national insect started attacking, we quickly geard up and headed on in to the gin clear water. Luckily we had the place to ourselves, and Cypress had its usual pretty sites. I had a 3x lense on my Reefmaster this go round so I was hoping for some better pics, but all I got was this small fish.

018_17A.JPG

Well, after a dip into the cavern during which I almost tempted to go past the restriction (but not without doubles), we did a little more swimming around and headed home (much quicker than on the way thanks to the current.

023_22A.JPG

More pics can be found at http://northfloridadiver.net/media/pics/pc-cypress805/pc-cypress805.htm including some from Panama City last weekend.

More info on Cypress is available here - http://northfloridadiver.net/sites/cypress_spring.htm

Sounds like a good time. Do you think you can squeeze doubles past that restriction? I figured it was sidemount/no mount :)

WaterDawg called me that afternoon asking for directions, I guess you guys managed to find it :D

Yeah, he just went the long way. The restriction at 50ft looks plenty wide to get by in. The one at 70, I dont know.

jviehe:
Yeah, he just went the long way. The restriction at 50ft looks plenty wide to get by in. The one at 70, I dont know.

Oh, ok... Yeah, I thought you were talking about at 70', its not much more than a crack in the wall, but line goes in...

I find if you rotate about 45º to the right, you can fit through the restriction at 50' without much problem at all, even without hitting the sides. I kinda bounce off the top and bottom on the way to 70' though :)

Glad you got a good dive in. I'm looking forward to visiting the spring again this fall and winter - brrrrrrr, I can feel the cold now!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom