Cylinder Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
1. What are the highest Scuba cylinder pressures commonly available in Europe and Scandinavia?

2. I understand that what is commonly called 300 Bar DIN connections in the US is actually rated for a maximum of 450 Bar — DIN 477, part 5, Outlet/Connector #56. Is that the most common DIN fitting used and are the regulators rated for that pressure?

3. What are standard thread sizes on cylinders where the valve screws into the tank?

Thanks to all.

300 bar is common, but not in general use. You can get 300 bar fills most, but not all places.

200-230 bar is standard- this is the standard 5 thread din fitting, and you can always get your 300 bar tank filled to ~220 if all else fails.

Some regulators have the 200 bar spindle, but most new regulators have 300 bar spindles, so you can use them on both. If a regulator has a 300 bar spindle, then I would have assume it to work on all 300 bar tanks filled to less than test pressure. I wouldn't fill my 300 bar tank to more than 330bar, though, even if test pressure is 450 bar...

The most common tank thread is M25x2 with several different types of O-Ring recess on the tank side and valve commonality. You see M18x1,5 on smaller tanks (vest bottles, argon sets), and older tanks may have small-conical threads sealed with Teflon tape. Storage banks tend to have large-conical threads, also sealed with Teflon tape. That's the deal in Germany, anyway.

Hope that was of use!

Gerbs

Gerbs, thanks for the input. I think the tapered threads you described are DIN 477-6 — emphasis on "I think". I believe they have a major diameter of 20mm if they are the same used on the Swedish AGA Divator 324 rated for 300 Bar. Does this sound correct?

Have you seen 18mm x 1.5 O-ring sealed straight threads on smaller cylinders? I believe they are used on Drager rebreather cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom