Cylinder Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium once bubbled...
I take it you guys aren't using the large (and unbelievably gaudy) Nitrox stickers?

If not, do you have any difficulties getting nitrox fills with only VIP and mix/MOD markers?

I have not had a problem to date. May need to point out what the stickers actually say, but so far that has been enough.

Phil

I also use the vip to indicate the O2 compatability and don't use the big nitrox stickers. I too use tape to indicate mix and MOD but I also use small contents stickers. I find that they last longer than tape and sometimes a tank will sit for several weeks and I have multiple sets of doubles that look the same.

My tanks get filled in my shop... no problem there. they get filled in Florida...they will fill anything with anything a at two midwest divesites who will fill what I have with what I want and leave the marking to me.

I only sell the big stickers to those that want them. and when we do a visual they come off. We don't replace them for free but the cost of the sticker is included in the cost of O2 cleaning. No biggie.

What some may not realize is that the recreational community has set a standard for marking that differs from the methods becomming popular in the tech community. Most shops/divers commited to using that standard are not switching gasses during a dive and are not filling tanks for those that do. They don't know and don't care what "tech" want or why.

The rational for the big nitrox stickers is of course to prevent a recreational diver who intends to grab a tank of air from a stack of tanks that all look alike from grabing a tank of something other than air. This is not an elaborate plot to force the knowledgable diver to spend another 3 bucks.

I use duct tape as well. The most important piece of information to me is my name, which serves the double duty of keeping someone else from mistaking mine for theirs, and gives me that nice confident feeling of knowing I've actually got the tank I analyzed and not someone's with similar handwriting.
---------
For diving while carrying gasses outside their safe envelope - carrying a 50/50 deco bottle to 130' for example, the large stenciled MOD markings are mandatory for me, otherwise it's inconsequential.
E. merra

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
The rational for the big nitrox stickers is of course to prevent a recreational diver who intends to grab a tank of air from a stack of tanks that all look alike from grabing a tank of something other than air. This is not an elaborate plot to force the knowledgable diver to spend another 3 bucks.

What I have seen with the big stickers is having them, and asking for an air fill. Even though the shop has nitrox, so they then have grade E nitrox air, they freak out and want to tear the stickers off because the tanks will become "dirty".

MechDiver once bubbled...

What I have seen with the big stickers is having them, and asking for an air fill. Even though the shop has nitrox, so they then have grade E nitrox air, they freak out and want to tear the stickers off because the tanks will become "dirty".

That's wrong because the nitrox sticker says nothing about how clean the tank is. There will always be idiots.

oxyhacker once bubbled...
Though it often seems they multipy faster in a nitrox atmosphere!

Good one!

Duct tape all the way. MOD and mix. Also use Red Duct Tape for Rich Mix and lighter colour for lean mix

Back
Top Bottom